Plant Based Foods to Beat Anxiety

Anxiety is a worldwide problem and manifests in many different shapes and forms. It can range in seriousness from slightly inconvenient to completely debilitating and relief is sought in many different places. Approximately 40 million adults in the United States currently suffer, have suffered or will suffer from some form of anxiety disorder. This equates to over 18% of the population! That huge number demonstrates just how many of us are afflicted with this condition.

Many people immediately turn to medication to manage their anxiety but in some cases it can be addressed through diet and exercise. Medication can cause some unfavourable side effects so if it is possible to avoid it then it is always worth exploring alternative options. Additionally, medication often only masks the root of the anxiety and as soon as treatment stops the problem can resurface. Finding ways to naturally treat imbalances in the body is the optimum way to move towards better long term mental health.

So let’s take a look at the things you can aim to include in your diet to combat the causes and symptoms of anxiety.

Green tea is cheap, simple and delicious. It is generally calming for the mind and when consumed regularly can work to decrease anxiety overall. Some variations of green tea are believed to have a positive effect on cortisol production in terms of balancing levels of this stress hormone in the body.

Turmeric is an amazing spice, both in terms of colour and taste and is known to enhance your mood. This spice contains antioxidants called curcuminoids which has neuroprotective qualities. Studies into the effectiveness of turmeric to combat depression have yielded encouraging results.

Avocados are an all round super food and can be useful for tackling anxiety. They contain high levels of potassium which works to control blood pressure, which in turn can help to keep your mood balanced. Avocados also contain a wealth of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which help to keep your brain functioning as it should!

Finally, asparagus can also be consumed regularly in an effort to reduce feelings of anxiety. This is because it contains folic acid which is connected to the health of your neurological function. Impaired neurological function can be an underlying cause of anxiety and it is always worth making sure you get ample amounts of folic acid in your diet. As an added bonus, asparagus contains a small amount of potassium too, which as mentioned previously helps with that all important blood pressure!

1. Fantastic information! Thank you!

2. Love it! I’ve also heard the niacin in raw cashews fights depression. Thanks, off to have some turmeric!

3. dcarmack says:

Don’t forget that to ease anxiety with diet the first place to start is “quit eating processed foods”

4. Love using turmeric when I cook and in tea

5. Tea and avocados are all I need in my life! Lol

6. lulu says:

It must be all the avocados I eat that keep me from being anxious.

7. janerunswild says:

I love avocados! Thank you for this post! 🙂

8. Great tips – and good call out for diet and exercise Vs medication. I’m a daily fan of green tea (loose leaves) or matcha powder and perhaps thats why I am never anxious!

9. Awesome post! As someone who struggles with anxiety it’s good to know what I can add in to my diet to feel better. I love holistic remedies!

10. Genbumom says:

I’ve read turmeric also heals the gut and more studies have been showing a healthy gut balance helps with most mental issues (anxiety, depression, seasonal mood disorders). Tumeric seems to be a super spice in that regards. Bananas also help.

11. Interesting, I didn’t know about the link between green tea and cortisol production

12. lenanorablog says:

i love Avocados! Best thing for the salat. *_*

13. eloise3 says:

Wow, this is really helpful, thanks 🙂 I’ve been dealing with anxiety in various ways but these seem really easy and effective – and I’ve just started my own blog partially about anxiety too!x

14. eloise3 says:

So interesting, thanks! I love these kinds of methods and I’ve actually just started my own blog which is partially about anxiety so really useful post 🙂 x

15. Chris Darby says:

I’m all about food healing! Great post 🙂

16. JC says:

I have to restrict my caffeine intake… does decaf green tea have same effect on cortisol??? My doc is convinced I have a cortisol problem! I’ll try anything!

If it is decaf then I imagine it should be okay but please consult with your doctor also!