Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad

This salad looks fantastic as a side dish to a main meal at a dinner party but can also make an indulgent meal for one! Not only does it look amazing but it will also do great things for your body due to the wealth of goodness found within! Brussels sprouts are cruciferous vegetables that contain a unique range of antioxidants. They are super low in calories at just 28 calories for half a cooked cup! Brussels sprouts are also full of fibre which makes them perfect for digestive health as well as preventing constipation and keeping your colon healthy.

The addition of raisins to this salad not only helps to make it look more interesting but also gives the flavour a nice twist. Raisins are known to improve eye health and the health of your bones so double bonus!

To make a huge portion of this for yourself, you will need the following ingredients:

For the salad:

450g of uncooked Brussels sprouts
2 large handfuls of rocket
A large handful of parsley
100g of toasted pine nuts
A large handful of raisins
A large handful of dried cranberries
1 avocado, sliced or cut into cubes

For the dressing:

Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. of honey
1 Tbsp. of olive oil

Using a hand grater or mandoline, grate the Brussels sprouts and then add the shaved Brussels sprouts to a large salad bowl. You can then add the rocket, parsley, toasted pine nuts, raisins and cranberries into the bowl too. And, of course, the avocado. Next, in a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour them over the salad.

This is wonderful and delicious salad where you and your guests will be surprised that Brussels sprouts make such a wonderful meal!  I also find that it is perfect for American Thanksgiving too!

For more healthy recipes like this one plus some great nutrition advice, head over to The Flexi Foodie Academy!

1. Stunning salad! I can’t wait to make this one 🙂
    musicwithdinner.com

2. MELewis says:

What an unusual salad. I like the idea of combining those flavours – but am a little nervous about the effect of raw sprouts on my digestive system…. 😉

3. King says:

This salad looks tasty. How long did it take you to make?

4. Looks yummy. I’ve used similar flavors in a kale salad, but will have to give this a shot.

5. wildleaf says:

putting this on my thanksgiving recipe list! thanks for the inspiration!

6. hchopp says:

This looks great! I usually just roast them in the oven, however I will have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for visiting! xx

7. Wow I love brussel sprouts but have never tried them raw – thanks for the recipe!

8. mzbick says:

This looks amazing! I pinned it to make for a fam jam this weekend. Lots of love. Great idea! -ENB

9. jjstonefit says:

Looks amazing!! Definitely going to be trying this one 💕

10. rachpeps2014 says:

I love Brussels sprout’s but often boil them up so am glad to have found an alternate use for them, I will be trying this out in the summer, and I might experiment with trying to turn it into a a beautiful winter salad if you wouldn’t mine me doing so?

Sounds fantastic! 🙂

11. This sounds great. May have to do this if I can avoid the temptation of roasting them!