Lentil Brownies

Okay, I know this recipe might sound a bit weird and you are probably thinking, ‘is she serious?!’  But yes, I am serious!  I urge you to try this because I promise you, these brownies are so seriously good and gooey!  They do not disappoint if you are looking for an indulgent treat that is healthy too!

There are many benefits to eating lentils, such as promoting digestion and preventing ill health. The great benefits of eating lentils stem from the wealth of vitamins, minerals, nutrients and dietary fibre contained within. They are especially rich in potassium, calcium, zinc and vitamin K which all contribute to essential biological processes in the body!

To make twelve of these brownies for yourself you will need the following ingredients:

2 x 400g tin of lentils, drained and rinsed
12 Medjool dates (make sure you are using soft dates and Medjool are the softest!)
60g of almond butter
40g of cacao powder
1 Tbsp of honey
1 banana
½ tsp of baking soda

The first step in making these brownies is to preheat your oven to 200C. Next, in a food processor, pulse the lentils until they are mixed.  You can then add the almond butter, banana, cacao, honey and baking soda into the food processor and blend again.  After a few moments, scrape the sides to make sure everything is mixed together.  The next step is to add the dates and then blend again. Finally, in a greased 8×8 square pan, pour the mixture in and bake for 15 minutes.

Once this time has passed the brownies should be gooey, so if they are then that’s perfect! Remove from the oven and allow them to cool before slicing into bars. You can either enjoy them right away or place them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.

1. I. Greenwald says:

I love lentils and stay away from brownies. And yes, when I read Lentil Brownies my first thought was “can’t possibly be good”. Now after reading and seeing the ingredients I think I will give it a try because I would love to eat a gooey brownie and your ingredients make it sound yummy.

2. Lauren says:

Why not? I eat black bean brownies all the time and they are delicious. I will give it a try. I just have to figure out grams to cups 🙂 Americans…

3. Yana says:

I love ‘weird’ recipes! Look forward to trying it 🙂

4. estherjane13 says:

Very interesting recipe. I’m definitely going to try it!

5. glutenfreeveganduo says:

This is such a great idea! I usually use black or azuki beans for brownnies, but why not lentils!? 😀

6. Theo Herbots says:

Reblogged this on Theo Herbots Gezonde Recepten and commented:
    Prachtige Blog

7. I sub lentils for black beans in cooking lots. I have made brownies before with black beans and they were very tasty. Can’t wait to give this one a try.

8. what a great idea! black lentils are one of my favorite ingredients, why not eating them for desert as well?! 😀

9. f1evre says:

I’ve tried beetroot, sweet potato and chickpeas in baked goods but never lentils! I will totally be trying this.

10. Lupita says:

Beans are so versatile and since people don’t eat enough of them, recipes like this are needed!

11. jannatwrites says:

My son was recently put on an anti-inflammatory diet (no more packaged cookies) so I’m going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’m off to translate grams to cups 🙂

12. noelle says:

oh my goodness! YUM

13. I love that this posted on my birthday! What a treat….sounds so yummy.

Hope you had a great birthday!

14. Reblogged this on jacquelinebundey and commented:
    ….I will most definitely be trying these in my eternal bid to eat the foods that I fancy whilst remaining committed to the philosophy, my body is my temple!!

15. Phoebe Parke says:

Lentil brownies?! They do look yummy though…

16. filmclass4 says:

Boy do I love brownies, I love a healthy substitution to brownies even more! I can not wait to try these for myself, thank you for the post!

17. Reblogged this on Heal SVT Naturally and commented:
    LOVE this recipe, and I Love Julie Montagu!

18. nutrivise says:

Oh my god! This sounds different. It’s nothing like I’ve ever come across.

19. jjstonefit says:

What a great adaptation! Definitely try it this one.

20. bonnyleeyoga says:

What kind of lentils do you recommend? Would love to try!

Any should work fine as long as they are pre-cooked and the excess water is drained away!

21. I never thought about adding lentils to brownies, such a great idea! I just started my own blog about healthy and affordable eating, feel free to check it out! I’m looking forward to seeing more if your posts! 🙂