Why it’s Important to Express Gratitude

With such busy lives and so many things to think about, expressing gratitude for the things that you have can often be the last thing on your mind. However, there are so many great reasons to do so that it is well worth remembering to include each and every day! The concept of gratitude is focused around acknowledging the positive aspects of your life – both those that other people provide and those that you create for yourself.

By making a mental note to contemplate gratitude every day, you will be opening your heart and your mind to truly appreciating the good things in your life. As well as these things, you should also make time to show gratitude for the important people who love and support you. This can take many forms. It could simply be thinking positive things about these people, telling them directly that you love and appreciate them or even with a kind gesture. This may seem like a strange idea to you at first and you may even be slightly embarrassed to express these feelings out loud to people. However, with practice it will soon feel completely natural.

As you continue to show your gratitude to those you care for, you will often notice that the dynamic of your relationship shifts. Your bond will become stronger and the other person will be more open with their own feelings towards you. This makes for a long-lasting and loyal friendship.

As well as being great for your personal relationships there is actual scientific evidence that expressing gratitude is beneficial for health. First of all it is a good way to ward of depression. This is because it encourages an optimistic outlook and provides the opportunity to focus on positive events and people. Secondly it is known to help combat anxiety because of the feelings of peacefulness that it promotes. Research has shown that practicing gratitude is particularly useful to those who suffer from stress related problems and conditions such as PTSD. Finally, there is also research to suggest that it will mean good things for your sleep pattern. This is generally because of the improvement to your mood. A good nights sleep plays an important part in your overall optimum health and should never be overlooked as an important part of your routine!

As you can see, the simple act of expressing gratitude can improve your life in several different but equally important ways. Start on your journey towards these things today by making a list of everything you are grateful for and then find productive ways to show this gratitude!

1. I totally agree, gratitude should be acknowledged in everyone’s lives! It’s a great thing to think about.

2. Nice summary that we could all learn a little from x

3. What a sweet reminder! Thank you, I will do so 🙂

4. I’m grateful for the wordpress community… it’s so wonderful to share such beautiful insights… thank you…

5. Deborah Livingston says:

Hi Julie, It’s Deborah from San Antonio. I heard a TED talk this morning by David Steindt-Rast, a Benedictine monk from Mount Saviour Benedictine Monastery. He spoke on this very topic and how graditude leads to happiness. Basically he said to stop, look, and go. To understand that every moment is a gift and that’s is the way to happiness: graditude for each moment of life.

6. Cultivate Wellness says:

Very nice! And so true.

7. People should start be thankful for all that they have, instead of focusing on what they want but don’t need.

8. PedalWORKS says:

I’m grateful for this post. Nicely done 🙂

9. TamiSiobhan says:

Reblogged this on TamiSiobhan and commented:
    When I’m in a low mood, it is hard to think about anything else for me to get out of it. It effects my attitude, my sleep. Well my life in general really.

I get told that I have to think positive about life. This will change my outlook. I have to agree with this. But it also doesn’t happen over night. This is something I am working on to help me get over my anxiety and depression.

Julie Montagu has written a post about ‘Why it’s important to express gratitude’ and I wanted to share it with you all. If it wasn’t for my family, friends and the blogging community, I wouldn’t be getting better. Thank you.

With Love
    Tami

10. TamiSiobhan says:

Reblogged. Thank you for sharing these words. I suffer from anxiety and depression. If it wasn’t for my family, friends and the blogging community I wouldn’t be getting better. Thank you ❤

11. This is very true! Nice to see a blog post like this.

12. twistedlymes says:

This is great!! Thank you!!

13. Love it!!! Gratitude is so important and can be such an awesome coping skill!!!

14. Reblogged this on Being Southern Somewhere Else and commented:
    Showing deep appreciation for those who care for you is more than our shallow social-media society has time for. It’s not a simple act of lip service, but one that allows you to experience deep moments and strong bonds with other human beings.

15. lifewithhiba says:

This looks delicious!

16. kalison0515 says:

Gratitude keeps negativity in check. This was a very nice reminder…speaking of gratitude.

17. Thanks for reminding me to be thankful !

18. jannatwrites says:

Gratitude just feels good. So much nicer to appreciate what we have rather than waste our time thinking of all the wants we don’t have.

19. Thank you for this, i will focus on this aspect of life today.

20. engelsfrance says:

Very nice post….thank you!! Love it!

21. Adopt an attitude of gratitude…amen to that!

22. Hannah Jope says:

Really cool to see something like this on the internet. Gratitude is underrated and it really makes people happy

23. Appreciating even the smallest gesture made by someone works like a magic – spreading happiness and making us feel that the world isn’t a really bad place to live in..!

24. Plibby says:

Great post. Other articles about gratitude often mention grateful to a god. I always felt instead that I should simply be grateful in general, and this post sums up why. Thank you!

25. Denise says:

I was thinking about this topic a couple of days ago. I have so many people to thank and so many things to be grateful for. I need to start expressing my gratitude more.

And so to you I say: Thank you for the wonderful reminder!

26. wise words – a form of giving back and it does really make a difference!

27. prairiewifeinheels says:

I couldn’t agree more! When I focus on the negative more negative always comes my way…the same goes for gratitude. Like you say in you video journaling, or writing, is a great way to focus on the positive!