Do You Know Why Plant-Based Foods Are Health Essentials?

As we know, there are vast differences between foods made from animal products and plant-based foods. Beyond the obvious difference of where these two food groups come from, there is also nutritional differences that it is great to be aware of. You might not have heard the reasons why it is essential not to negate plant-based foods as a prominent part of your diet. In this post I am going to discuss certain nutrients that you simply can’t get in adequate amounts from meat products.

First of all, and perhaps most importantly, vitamin C is not present in beneficial amounts in any cooked animal products. On the flip side, vitamin C is found in abundance in many vegetables and fruits. This is an essential vitamin that maintains connective tissue as well as preventing a wide range of health problems that are caused by vitamin C deficiency. It can also help to regulate blood pressure and promotes the optimum function of your blood vessels.

One of the most important group of antioxidants to consume for good health is flavonoids. They are present in practically every plant-based food you can get your hands on, making it easy to get an adequate amount with a varied plant-based diet. Flavonoids have many uses in the body, not least aiding your brain function, protecting the cardiovascular system, lowering blood pressure and LDL cholesterol as well as helping to protect against cancer.

You may not have heard of lignans before but they have several incredibly important roles to play in the body. Not only do they help to regulate our hormone levels and support the immune system but they are also thought to aid in the relief of menopausal symptoms due to the way they interact with estrogen. However, they also interact with testosterone in such a way that they can improve prostate health! Lignans are phytonutrients that are high in antioxidants, which of course also means they are perfect for fighting free radicals in the body. The foods which are richest in lignans are whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds! So, as you can see, a varied plant-based diet will allow you to benefit from the fantastic benefit of lignans!

There are of course many more amazing nutritional benefits to be gained from eating a range of plant-based foods every day but hopefully these top three will motivate you to get started!

Want to learn more about nutrition? Head over to The Flexi Foodie Academy!

1. Loved this post! Thanks for sharing, gonna go and eat some fruits now hihi xP

2. Excellent article! Well done, blessings for spreading the practical applications of health,

3. Thank you for sharing, I like this

4. Thanks for providing the details on the vitamin content of fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds and the role they play in regard to our bodies. Although I knew a lot more than I expected, it is great to learn more. 👍🏻 🌹

5. I love your postings. Please follow me at fitandbipolar.WordPress.com regarding my journey to health and wellness despite my mental illnesses. I believe support from each other leads to great success. Thanks 🙂

6. Cole F. says:

Great post! Including some examples of types of fruits/foods that are particularly high in those certain nutrients would be helpful!

7. helseka says:

Clean food is the best choice ! Thanks for the article!

8. I’ve been trying to be eating more of the raw vegetarian diet, but also attempting low carb. The biggest struggle I have with this is the amount of carbs in fruits like bananas. Do you know about how much carbohydrate count matters when in fruits and vegetables?

9. prairiewifeinheels says:

I have never heard of lignans so thanks for educating me. Ever since I became pregnant with my first child (almost a decade ago) I have been trying to become more and more healthful. It’s only gets easier and easier as the years go by. Thanks for reminding me that keeping things varied in our diet will lead to better overall health!

10. travelvcm says:

Reblogged this on healthfitnesstravel and commented:
    Some brilliant examples of why plant based produce is a winner!

11. Reblogged this on wwwpalfitness and commented:
    Something for pretty much everyone, unless you are really different and have to do a little bit more. But theses are great tips and a great blog for help on your diet.

12. YeshuaNoel42 says:

Great article! Very accurate, to my limited knowledge. Love that you didn’t negate the benefits of the nutritional facts for meat products, but instead simply pointed out the necessity of plant-based nutrition. Loved the post!

13. jkuhlwilm says:

I totally agree with eating plants, and that they provide us with many of the vitamins and minerals we need. But for me it is clear that red meat, fish and animal organs provide many important vitamins and minerals which plants are not so efficient at providing the body.

14. reocochran says:

Such a very good lesson and everyone should pay attention to this. 🙂

15. I find this a super informative piece of reading, thank you for that 🙂 although a long time supporter and consumer of a plant-based diet I sometimes struggle to explain the health benefits in a way that’s science-y enough to convince the doubters, but simple enough so that we all understand! I think not plant-based is the way of the future; not only for our health but for the planet.