How to Get a Good Nights Sleep

We all know that getting between seven and eight  hours of uninterrupted sleep every night is best for optimum health but we also know that it isn’t always easy! For some people getting this much sleep might sound like a luxury as opposed to a necessity but it is essential if you want to maintain optimum health and look and feel your best. If you are one of these people who understands the importance of sleep but does not always manage an adequate amount then the following tips could help you to remedy the problem.

The first thing you should do is turn your bedroom, or at least your sleeping area, into a sanctuary. Make sure it is always clean, comfortable and free of distractions. It is also a good idea to make sure that any outside light is blocked and also that the room is neither too hot nor too cold.

Setting yourself a bedtime might be an amusing concept and something that you haven’t been subject to since childhood but it can really help to organise your sleep. If you know that you have to be up for work at 6 a.m then make sure you are on your way to bed at 21:30. This gives you plenty of time to wind down, get comfortable and fall into an eight hour sleep.

Your actions prior to bedtime can also determine if you get a good sleep or not. Most importantly, do not consume any alcohol, refined sugar or caffeine in the hours before you go to bed. Even if it does not keep you awake to begin with, it is likely to cause you to wake in the early hours. Choosing herbal tea or a warm plant-based milk drink will help relax your body and ease you into sleep. You might also find that a warm bath with lavender oil will also help to relax you.

Meditation and mindful breathing are the perfect pre-bedtime activity. Your sleep sanctuary can also become your space for meditation. You can even try meditating lying down in bed in order to wind down from your day and eradicate any negative thoughts. You simply have to lie back, breathe through your nose and concentrate on your breathing while you imagine all negativity and stress leaving your body. Do this for between five and ten minutes and you will find that your mind is much clearer as you fall asleep.

Once you are sleeping properly you will quickly notice that your energy levels increase, your mind is more balanced and you may also find that your weight is more stable. You will soon adjust to your new routine and this positivity will follow you into other areas of your life!

1. wyllowpatty says:

Wonderful ideas, Julie. I am a pretty good sleeper but have had to cut back a lot on coffee as I have gotten older. Meditating is a big help as well.

2. celinatalk says:

I’ll have to give these things a try!! I have the biggest trouble sleeping ever!!

3. animalsbooksfoodandeveythingelse says:

excellent tips 🙂 I love to read before bed to help me relax and to make sure I get the recommended sleep

4. animalsbooksfoodandeveythingelse says:

Reblogged this on animalsbooksfoodandeveythingelse and commented:
    great tips for making sure you get your beauty sleep 🙂

5. deliciouscityliving says:

This post is right up my ally as I have not slept well all week! I think I will try meditation before bed tonight and see if that helps.

6. ALD_FIT says:

Great read! A good sleep is so important, but so hard for so many. These are great tips 🙂

7. IMAGINE says:

Helpful read…everyone can use some tips for good sleep, I think.

8. Dang did I need to read this today! Hello recent insomnia🐝 thanks for the ideas!

9. Stanito says:

Amazing tips, thank you very much, I found this article very useful!

10. Ruben says:

Great tips! Thanks!

11. This was really in play for me this week! The first few days of the week I was super tired and sluggish and in a poor mood due to poor sleep. Well last night I made a point to go to bed at my “bed time” and I woke so refreshed and full of energy today! Great advice

12. Katie Robles says:

You can use your husband to get yourself to bed on time too. Just one more tip 🙂

13. beautygalz says:

Thanks a lot 🙂

Love
    *Cinderella*

14. This is awesome 🙂 Sleep is so important and often times neglected!

15. kingsway900 says:

Great read. Waking up at the end of a sleep cycle is important as well. I recommend using sleepyti.me. It’s a great sleep calculator!

16. I’m the WORST at going to bed at a decent hour. I always find something on the internet to distract me and then fall asleep late, and wake up late! Good tips! Will have to force myself to be better about sleeping.

That’s easily done! I hope you manage to get your sleep pattern under control! Thanks for visiting 🙂

17. since the first school , we were told that it was a good time to sleep 8 hours . but what we really need to sleep 8 hours every night ? I think it is a good sleep quality sleep . so there should be 8 hours . although only 3 or 4 hours , kalu our sleep quality , our body will be fit as a fiddle

18. ALLURE says:

Thanks for sharing 🙂 I will go straight to bed now!

19. svenne123 says:

Thanks for good advice!

And thanks to you for visiting my blog!

20. kaitslife says:

Reblogged this on kaitstruggles and commented:
    I need to try this… new goal before 2016: get a lot of sleep

21. excellent tips. That’s easily done!

22. itstimetoopenyourmind says:

I have tried all of these things and more, but I still lack the required amount of sleep. Or sometimes I just sleep too much. I plan ahead of time before work to make sure I get my hours in, but it just never seems to work