Black Bean and Tomato Soup

During these hot summer months the last thing you want to do is eat a heavy meal during the day. That is why soup is such a great seasonal option at the moment! It fills you up without leaving you feeling like you have over-indulged. There are countless delicious ready made varieties in the supermarkets, but if you want to be sure that you are getting the nutrition you need then it is best to make your own! Making soup at home is also a low-cost way to cook a large amount that can then be frozen and eaten at a later date.

Making soup with black beans is a fantastic way to thicken the consistency as well as to massively boost the health benefits of your meal. They are very high in protein but contain very minimal amounts of saturated fat and absolutely no cholesterol! They are also crammed full of micronutrients, fiber and those all important antioxidants. So, it is easy to see how regular consumption of black beans can do wonders for your body!

To make a batch of this soup, gather and prepare the following ingredients:

2 cups of cherry tomatoes
1 red onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
400g tin of cooked black beans
1 stalk of celery, chopped
¼ cup of coriander, chopped
2 cups of veg stock
Salt and pepper
Coconut oil

The first thing you will need to do is heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pan and then fry the onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers. When the onion starts to brown, lower the heat slightly and add in the celery and carrots and then continue to fry. As the vegetables start to soften, add in the tin of black beans and the veg stock, You must then stir this pan occasionally for the next ten minutes.

After this time, add in the cherry tomatoes and continue to heat for a further ten minutes. Season with the salt and pepper and then pop it all in your food processor and whiz away until smooth. Pour into bowls, top with the fresh coriander and serve!

For more delicious recipes like this one, head over to Amazon to buy my cookbook!

1. This looks great! The beans are such a great way to give tomato soup more protein and to keep you feeling fuller longer. I’m gonna save this one. Thanks for sharing!

2. Maïa says:

This looks amazing!

3. Reblogged this on Foodfhonebook and commented:
    I love soup
    And this one sounds great
    I am going to try this week
    Foodfhonebook

4. Looks delicious – glad to meet you today 🙂

5. oh yum. gotta love those fresh herbs! they make a soup so gourmet!

6. propertyjen says:

Reblogged this on The Granola Chronicles and commented:
    yummy!

7. prairiewifeinheels says:

I saw this on your Instagram account and had to stop on by to pin the recipe. It’s one I know my husband will like…and never realize how healthy it is ;). Perhaps I can even add some whole grain pasta and Elk to it in the winter to make a heartier stew?!

8. OMG – this looks sooo good. *Thanks God for this blog*

9. amandakusek says:

This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try. I love having options I can bring to work with me. Have you tried this cold?

Yes you should be able to enjoy this soup hot or cold! Thanks for visiting my blog 🙂

10. That sounds delicious, thanks!!

11. Julie Zimmer says:

Thanks for this recipe. Black beans are important for vegetarians. The darker the bean, the better! 🙂

1. that is very true, black beans contain approximately 20% of iron!

12. Julie Zimmer says:

Also, the very first time I ever had black bean soup, it was many years ago in a restaurant on Queen Street, in Toronto, Canada. It was so delicious- it was creamy, thick and almost all black (or dark brown).
    It was perfect on a cold, blizzardy winter day! It tasted so wholesome and smokey too. Strange how a bowl of soup can stick in one’s memory! Anyhow, I wish I had that recipe, but if you ever find a way of making it this way (or sort of) please let me know. Thanks again! Julie

13. David says:

thank you for sharing this amazing recipe. I’m on the road to better health which is in the food choices that I make. Great Blog. Thank You

14. cristinas558 says:

This looks yummy! Will have to try!

15. This recipe looks great!

16. This soup looks so delicious!:)

17. this looks delicious !

18. I’m aiming for this sort of lifestyle too! I follow you on my anorexia recovery account @full.circle, you inspire me every day! I just started a blog too so I can document becoming peaceful and healthy again! I’d love if anyone could check it out!

19. lifewithtiffney says:

This looks delish

20. Reblogged this on Good Heal Reports and commented:
    Great for a break from BBQ

21. Quite yummy and deliciouse.