How Affirmations Aid Yoga Practice

Using affirmations during your yoga practice is a great way to encourage yourself to reach new levels, both physically and mentally. If you’re not familiar with affirmations then let me introduce you! They are simply short but powerful statements which help you to gain control of your conscious thoughts. You can either say these statements out loud or repeat them to yourself in your mind – either way the aim is to create a thought process then then becomes your reality!

On average, we each have between 45,000 and 51,000 thoughts every day (which is between 150 to 300 thoughts every minute). Studies into our thought processes have shown that around 80% of these thoughts tend to be negative!

When you’re engaging in exercise, such as yoga, it is particularly useful if you have a stream of positive thoughts flowing through your mind. This is because positive thoughts help us to perform better and also help us to believe that we can achieve the things we are striving for in that moment. Whereas exercise accompanied by negative thoughts will leave us feeling unmotivated and reluctant to push through the pain to reach our goals.

Taking action in this instance is easily done by taking control of your thoughts, and that is something that is within everyone’s reach. Choosing the affirmations that you are going to say to yourself does not have to be complicated and you can even have a short list of affirmations that you can take inspiration from each day for a yoga session. They don’t necessarily even have to be specific to yoga or exercise related at all.

With your affirmations, it is important to occasionally focus on how every small step that you are taking is a stride towards your goals. Opting for affirmations that encourage this idea, such as, “every day, in every way, I am becoming fitter and healthier”, or “with every twist and every pose my body is becoming stronger”.  However, repeating affirmations that are more general to life and continued progress are also beneficial for an improved state of mind and better yoga practice.

The next time you approach the yoga mat, be sure to have one or two positive affirmations in mind. Use these affirmations throughout your session, not just when a particular pose starts to feel difficult. Constant encouragement will keep your mind focused and help to prevent feelings of negativity – making it much more likely that you’ll enjoy and benefit from your session!

1. Yana says:

Lovely advise! 🙂

2. Alys says:

Thank you! I really enjoy reading this.

3. Sas says:

Thanks for this reminder, I’ve definitely been letting the negative thoughts in recently. My six year old nephew uses affirmations. A lot of the time he whispers them to himself, but I once overheard him saying ‘I can climb, I’m a good climber’ over and over again whilst he was playing on the park. It’s so cute!

4. peanutbritterz says:

Reblogged this on itsbrittanybitch and commented:
    The power of positivity! Thanks for the inspiring words, flexi foodie 🙂

5. Shannon Michelle says:

Great post. I think positive affirmations will help me through the strenuous poses. Thanks for sharing!

6. K.K. Rose says:

I really need to get back into yoga again. Thanks for a great post 🙂

7. Every time I endure in a yoga session, I practice through an affirmation. There is always a purpose served at the end of my time. If it’s something emotional, I always end up releasing tears at the end of the meditation part and it feels very real to open that channel. Being in touch with your mind, body, and soul should be #1 priority in this life. Happy practicing! 🙂

8. I love this. As a semi yoga newbie, I’ve only recently realized the importance of positive affirmations.

9. Great post! It is something that I am a firm believer of with any exercise.

10. Excellent advice. I’ve recently gotten back into daily yoga practice (as opposed to weekly), and find myself occasionally noting ‘Hey, this is easier today’ or ‘My shoulders are cooperating better than last week’. Now to make this more pro-active!

11. thepaleogal says:

This is a lovely piece of advise to share, we must remember that yoga is a gift that brings happiness, not a punishment!