Mung Bean Dahl

This dish has a lovely long list of fresh, wholesome ingredients which come together to create a traditionally Indian dish with my personal variations. Dahl is typically made with a combination of lentils and other pulses added together with a range of spices to enhance the flavour and the nutrition! When cooking a dahl, it’s advisable to leave it to do so for a long time to allow the consistency to become just right, so making this dish will take approximately one hour.

Mung beans are one of the most nutrient dense legumes and are also remarkably low in calories. Mung beans are high in dietary fibre and a relatively small serving can quickly leave you feeling full! They are a great choice to include in your diet if you are looking for a food that is high in protein without all that nasty cholesterol! The herbs and spices which are used also pack a healthy punch and bring a unique taste to this dish.

To make enough of my dahl to feed four to six people, find the following ingredients:

200g of mung beans
Coconut oil for frying
2 small onions, finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. black mustard seeds
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. chilli powder
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
2 Tbsp. tomato puree
1 tin x 400g chopped tomatoes
1 litre veggie stock
Coriander, to garnish
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

mung_bean_dahl_the_flexi_foodie2In a large pan, over a medium to high heat, melt a tablespoon of coconut oil. Once this has melted, add the onions, garlic, ginger and all of the spices and saute for approximately five minutes until the onion is soft. Next, add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, mung beans and veggie stock.

Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for 45 minutes. After this amount of time the mung beans should be soft. With a potato masher, begin to mash the mung beans so that roughly half have been mashed. You can then serve into dishes, season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped coriander.

Love this recipe? Then check out more in my first cookboook! SUPERFOODS: The Flexible Approach to Eating More Superfoods.

1. Dee Gilbert says:

I love mung beans! My grandma used to sauté it with onion, garlic, tomato, and spinach. She flavored it with a bit of shrimp paste or anchovies. Loved it! I miss her cooking.

2. One of my favourite recipes.

I soak the Mung dal overnight and then pressure cook them. Gets done faster and is easier to digest. 🙂

3. aloefromdonna says:

Looks fab, one I want to try 🙂

4. estherjane13 says:

Yum, this looks delicious. I’m definitely going to try this recipe – I love mung beans. Thank you!

5. namousdi says:

I love lentils. Being Greek I can tell you that they are used a lot in greek dishes. Additionally, they are also a great source of protein, which many people do not know.

6. That looks absolutely scrumptious.

7. Feast Wisely says:

I have a pack of mung beans in my pantry waiting to be used so have emailed myself this recipe – love it!

8. verticaljump101 says:

looks delicious, will be using this recipe very soon.

9. Thank you for another winning recipe Julie! Will have to double it as I love dahl. 🙂

10. adrian says:

Nice info, looks delicious. We should try to make it : )

11. lolajman says:

Oh wow! This looks fantastically delicious.
    Please feel free to look at and follow my new food blog.
    I’m new here so just getting started!

Thanks
    Laura

12. This looks insane.. . Make high protein, low carb meals and am majority into my raw alternatives to classics.. Wondering if you had any good high protein light bite recipes??
    Check my page out for a look into the issues around fitness, nutrition and ways to make positive changes to your lifestyle.

13. Reblogged this on The Body Forum and commented:
    High protein, low fat recipe for a fiery traditional dish.. Check out The Flexi Foodies page, some great recipes and tips