Learn to Love Your Body

Experiencing negative thoughts about our bodies is something that happens to every one of us. When it comes to our appearance, self-doubt is a concept that has become next to natural as we’re constantly bombarded by mass-media creations of what perfect is. This doubt about your body can quickly build a negativity that will lead to self-doubt in other areas of your personal and professional life.

You might often find yourself thinking that certain situations or opportunities are influenced by your perception of your body. For example, “Did I miss out on that promotion because I don’t look the part” or “Would my relationship be better if I was ten pounds lighter”.

Overcoming this doubt can be a long process but it will lead you to a place of positivity where your body image no longer has an impact on your day to day life. Learning to love your body will mean that you are less susceptible to perceived criticism from other people in regards to the way that you look. But of course, that’s easier said than done so how can we all reach this point?

Affirmations are a great way to encourage a positive body image and should be something that you aim to work into your daily routine. Starting the day with a body positive affirmation and having a list that you can refer to throughout the day for encouragement is something I strongly advise! When you start to feel the negativity creeping in, you can say one or more of these affirmations out loud or in your head.

Focusing on the things you already love about your body is one of the best ways to eradicate unhappy thoughts about the things you wish to change. Everyday when you look in the mirror, focus your thoughts on one of these things and remind yourself why it is you chose that particular feature. Whether it’s your skin or your muscles or a part of your face, there has to be something about yourself that you do find attractive and this is a good start for spreading that love for yourself.

Finding an exercise regime that works for you, and continuing to fill your body with healthy foods that promote optimum wellness, are both important parts of self-care. By caring for yourself in these ways, you will help to grow the love you have for yourself and that will extend into love for your body also!

1. graceswright says:

Reblogged this on GraceisWright and commented:
    Positive thoughts….

2. Radiantly Shaping Me says:

I’m working on it now. Learning to love my love handles, belly and back fat is hard though lol. You’re right about affirmations though. Great post!!

3. prettylooksandbooks says:

Thank you for this. Very important message. A daily routine we all should follow!

4. imariandana says:

nice 🙂 thanks

5. andijsinger says:

This has been a lifelong struggle for me. Affirmations have been big for me, and focusing on what my body can do vs. how it looks has helped too.

6. namousdi says:

I agree. Finding something that works for you as an individual is key.

7. Maria Helena says:

very good article! It is so important to embrace the journey and dont give up just because you cant heal or change your body within one day ! if you love your body and treat it well then the results will come automatically! I wrote an article about self-love recently, i would be honored if you would give me some feedback and leave a comment. http://gegenwind.me/2015/05/02/from-selfie-to-self-love/

Thanks for visiting and for sharing your article with me – I’ll certainly give it a read 🙂

8. N.E says:

Wow thanks. I connected with this so much, I love the idea about daily affirmations. I have a bad habit of putting myself down and then giving up on myself in the process! I will try this.

Thanks for reading! I hope that this works for you 🙂

9. N.E says:

Reblogged this on journeytothebody and commented:
    I connect to this article so much! It’s a good read, and inspiring! #yayselflove

10. I really loved reading this article. As someone who has suffered from body issues a good majority of my life, it is so easy for me to nitpick all the aspects of my body that I don’t like. I’m just really starting to get over this mentality and learning to appreciate what I have, and reading articles like this really helps me to. Thank you so much, and I will definitely be keeping a list of body positive affirmations.

11. GirlOnline says:

Thank you for this post! It was very inspiring and something that I am going to try to incorporate into my daily routine.

12. vanitra says:

I have no self-reliance, and have lived my lifetime dependent on objective reliance. With these dynamics, how do i evolve into self-care?

One step at a time! Take some time to think about what you want from life and work towards accepting yourself and your body 🙂

13. I love affirmations and I think it’s so important for all of us to learn body confidence and self-love. Not to mention encouraging one another. ❤