How Self-Confidence Will Change Your Life

In our modern society, judging ourselves and our bodies is something that comes incredibly naturally to a lot of people. Both men and women are afflicted by this problem and it can lead to equally damaging behaviours in both sexes. There are countless companies cashing in on this by selling diet pills, make-up and endless creams and lotions to reverse ageing and perfect our skin. And it’s not only the pharmacuetical and cosmetic companies exacerbating this issue. The high street shops and fashion retailers who tell us which clothes to buy in order to look skinny and fashionable are also adding to this problem.

This lack of self confidence can soon lead to greater problems, such as social or general anxiety, which can really hinder your day to day life. Anxiety can make even the smallest, easiest of tasks seem complicated and impossible which then often causes people to avoid certain situations altogether. Attempts to self-medicate this anxiety away can also commonly lead to drug and alcohol dependance as a few drinks to power through a social occasion develops into a habbit. People who lack self-confidence are often the best at pretending, but having to do so can be incredibly exhausting.

When you are able to let your authentic self present itself, free of the disguises and tricks you have used to keep it hidden, then you will find that you’re able to move through the world with much greater ease than before. Self-confidence, alongside self-love, is the key to a free existence where dependance on the validation of others simply does not exist. Learning to love your natural form – hair, skin, emotions, fears and every aspect of the package – is the biggest step you can take towards living a life of happiness. Embracing the flaws and understanding that it is these flaws which make you who you are, is essential in building a confidence so true that no make-up advert or ignorant opinion can leave even the slightest of dents in it.

This of course isn’t something that’s going to happen in a day, or in any unreasonably small pocket of time. It is a process that must be approached with complete honesty and an unrelenting willingness to change. As your fake exterior is peeled away, your true self-confident self will emerge and never look back!

1. Such a timely reminder when there is so much sadness in the world. It’s time to focus on the real stuff although it’s hard to loosen the marketing noose around our necks!

2. lovetotrav says:

Really well-said and so true. I am working on it at the moment as I reach closer to 50 and feel a tad out of shape. Thanks for reminding me of its importance πŸ˜‰

3. pinkiebag says:

Great post, and a great to start a positive fresh start.

4. wyllowpatty says:

Wonderful to remember, Julie, and hard to achieve. So many people are out to convince us of all the things we “need” to be okay. Fortunes are made on our insecurities. I am right there with everybody else. But my awareness increases daily. Thank You!

5. wyllowpatty says:

PS: I am 71 and still have a lot to learn!

6. hannahmariealison says:

Reblogged this on hannahmariealison.

7. stoneandkilo says:

great advice, thanks so much

8. andymizzi says:

Inspirational πŸ™‚ thankyou for your post

9. true story, thank you x

10. aimeecartier says:

YEs, accepting who you are and being confident about it is such a beautiful thing. Are you familiar with Amy Cuddy’s work on Ted Talks? She tells about these great 2 minute stances that can help boost your confidence (and decrease your cortisol). Her talk is wonderful. I wrote a post about it on my blog: http://wp.me/p5UDMq-Cb I have a link to her Ted Talk there. It’s sooo good!

11. 5kcane says:

Nice and positive!

12. mothererased says:

” When you are able to let your authentic self present itself, free of the disguises and tricks you have used to keep it hidden, then you will find that you’re able to move through the world with much greater ease than before. Self-confidence, alongside self-love, is the key to a free existence” You have spoken such TRUTH! I spend much of my existence striving toward this. The gold.

13. Toma says:

My anxiety makes things seem much “larger” than they really are. I’ve struggled since childhood and am just now getting help at 41. I have been given tools to help me realize that people are not focused on me the majority of the time, they are struggling with their own concerns. Thank you for the article!

14. mtika1987 says:

This is so true, even for me and my current struggles, which is why I’m trying this new yoga journey. It seems like a challenge because I feel alone at it but I’m sure I can do it, just have a lot to learn. Thank you for this post πŸ™‚

And thanks to you for visiting my blog!

15. This is pretty inspiring and so true. I used to self medicate and switched over to meditate and it made a huge impact.

16. schoolgirl615 says:

Reblogged this on highschooleveryday and commented:
    This applies to almost every teenage girl. (Guys, not saying you don’t have your problems.) We need to find the beauty in ourself. We don’t need to compare ourselves to the girl who has a boyfriend, is on the cheer team, and can do about everything. Believe in yourself!!!