Tahini Buckwheat Risotto with Chestnuts, Sweet Potatoes and Figs

This is a dish that I love to throw together when I have guests over. It looks so colorful and delicious and, as buckwheat is becoming more popular as a main meal, it’s a great conversation starter! Buckwheat is a high quality protein source that is also low in carbs and low in fat. It is the favoured choice of those who seek organic, chemical free foods as it grows relatively quickly – therefore requiring less pesticides to be used. Regular consumption of buckwheat will strengthen the intestines, improve digestion and lower blood pressure.

The figs in this recipe are of much more use than just making the dish look more interesting. They are such a rich source of many vitamins and minerals! Also, the dried variety are available all year round so we can benefit from them anytime! The high fibre content of figs makes them a good choice for cleansing the intestines. Figs are also fantastically high in potassium which is essential for combating the ill effects of a diet that is high in sodium. Therefore, if you struggle with high blood pressure because you normally eat too many salty foods, then figs can help you to get back on track!

To make this meal for four people, acquire the following ingredients:

1 Tbsp. of coconut oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 litre of vegetable stock
1 large sweet potatoes, chunked
200g of whole chestnuts, cooked and peeled
300g of buckwheat
1 stalk of celery, diced
5 figs, quartered
3 Tbsp. of tahini
Chopped parsley
Sea salt and pepper to taste

buckwheat risotto with figs (2)

To get started, melt the coconut oil in a large skillet or pan and then add the onion. Fry the onion for 5-7 minutes or until they begin to turn translucent. Next, add the buckwheat, veggie stock and chunked sweet potato. You can then bring the pan to the boil and then let it simmer for 45 minutes. After this time, give it a good stir and over the following 45 minutes continue to give it the occasional stir as well. Once the veggie stock has been absorbed into the buckwheat, and the sweet potato is soft, add in the tahini and stir well. Season with sea salt and pepper before you divide into four bowls and top with figs and parsley.

1. Marfigs says:

This looks beyond delicious! I’m using buckwheat every day now, so this is a perfect savoury dish to try out šŸ˜€

2. eat2healthUK says:

Great post. This recipe looks and sounds delicious! šŸ™‚

3. Share JOYS! Project / Joy Journey 2 Health says:

Thank you for this unique recipe! I enjoy buckwheat and figs, although I don’t eat either too often. This is now added to my bookmarks of recipes for future use!

I like that the tahini adds calcium and a good source of protein, as well.

How do you cook chestnuts? I have seen them at a local farmer’s market some years back, but unclear how to do this. Are they roasted or boiled or what?

Thanks again!

Hey and thanks for visiting! I think roasting is the best way to cook chestnuts šŸ™‚

4. Share JOYS! Project / Joy Journey 2 Health says:

I just looked up the nutrient content of 1 medium fig and I am glad to learn that they have 2% of the DV of calcium too! šŸ™‚

Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=106

Great – thanks for sharing šŸ™‚

5. lisakirchgatterer says:

This sounds like a really nice combination of veggies and flavours! I’ll try to make it for sure šŸ™‚

6. I tried this last night it was so good.

Amazing, so glad you enjoyed it!

7. Jessica Kim says:

This is brilliant! I can almost taste it in my mouth (currently drooling over all your posts). I’m so glad to have found your blog. Looking forward to reading and cooking more. šŸ˜‰

Jess

8. leynafox says:

This recipe looks absolutely delicious. I’m definitely going to share this blog and recipes with my sister as she is a yoga instructor and is definitely going to enjoy this!

Fantastic, I hope she loves it! Thanks for visiting šŸ™‚

9. One of my favorite food now :D. It’s so delicious and I love it

10. isiirwin says:

Reblogged this on Bel and commented:
    Woah might be converted from my quinoa risotto

11. Alessandra says:

Hej Julie, I wrote your comment in “Healthy Woman” UK about how to earn weight when eating lots of superfoods or drinking smoothies. But in your recipes and book there does not seem to be a calorie count, so how would that work if I use your recipes? Thanks Alessandra

Hey thanks for dropping by šŸ™‚ My philosophy is that when you embrace a plant based diet then the need to count calories is removed as each meal is a healthy balance of what your body needs!