Garlic Peas and Kale with Smashed Avocado

This dish works well as a main meal for one or as a side dish for two or more. The combination of green vegetables with the healthy fats of the avocado mean that you are getting a dose of nutrition that’s difficult to rival! The four large handfuls of kale that you’ll use in this recipe are seriously beneficial for your body as kale is known to lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. Not only that but it is also rammed full of vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamins A, C and K, manganese, copper and fiber among many others! The high antioxidant count of kale also makes it amazing for protecting your body against cancer – it is a leaf that truly deserves the superfood label!

The use of pumpkin seeds brings a massive serving of magnesium into this dish which is essential in keeping your heart, bones and teeth healthy, not to mention the proper function of your blood vessels and bowels. Pumpkin seeds are also a fantastic source of zinc which the body needs to keep your eyes and skin healthy, whilst also ensuring proper cell growth. The high omega-3 fatty acid count in avocados provides your body with the good kind of fat that it craves as well as a decent dose of protein. Fresh avocados contain a huge amount of antioxidants, most notably lycopene and beta-carotene which greatly help to reduce cell damage.

Sound like a meal that you want to enjoy?! Then make sure you have the following ingredients:

2 tbsp. of coconut oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
400g of frozen peas
4 large handfuls of kale, stems removed
1 avocado, roughly chopped
A handful of pumpkin seeds

garlic_peas

To begin, melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil has started to get hot, you can add the garlic, onion and peas until the garlic and onion start to soften. After a few minutes the peas should start to soften and cook too. Next, add the lemon zest and juice, kale, avocado and pumpkin seeds. You should then season with sea salt and ground pepper. The next step is to take a potato masher and roughly mash the mixture. Be sure to add in a decent drizzle of olive oil while you are doing so. Your Garlic Peas with Smashed Avocado is now ready to enjoy as it is or to add on to the side of another meal! The creamy mixture is sure to go down a treat with guests as an original addition to the menu!

garlic_peas

If you enjoyed this dish and want to find others like it, then head over to Amazon to pre-order my very first cookbook!

1. Looks delicious πŸ™‚

2. I absolutely love this recipe! I’m a massive fan of kale and always looking for new ways to cook it so this is great! Thank you!

3. Skye-Lynn Ferch says:

This looks absolutely delicious!

4. Joleen says:

YUM! I happen to have all these ingredients at home, looks like I’ll be having this for lunch πŸ™‚

5. runsonsyrup says:

Three of my favorite veggies in one meal? Yowza!! Thank you for this recipe!

6. pinkiebag says:

Great combination of flavours I would never of thought about adding the avocado.

7. Hi Julie!

First, I just want to say that I am an avid fan and love your yoga and plant based philosophy! I have just recently become a vegan after being a vegetarian for 15 years and I love your recipes and I am on the pre-order list for your book. Keep it up! I just wanted to ask if you have a Pinterest board? A lot of famous and popular food bloggers have a Pinterest account and I think it is a great way to organize recipes while also being easy for fans like me to follow πŸ™‚ Just a thought! Wish I could work with you and build an empire around your philosophy!

Best wishes,

Ida Borneskog (www.pinterest.com/idaborneskog)

Hi thanks! And yes I do have a Pinterest account, you can find it here – http://www.pinterest.com/juliemontagu πŸ™‚ I’d be happy to follow you too!

8. Check out my new fitness blog! notyouraverageprincessfitness.wordpress.com

9. Emma says:

Reblogged this on Newmept.com and commented:
    Really gorgeous and very nutritious recipe. love this.

10. Kristin says:

Yummy!!!! πŸ™‚ Looks deliciously healthy!! Fabulous! XOXO

11. darbywhiting says:

Your blog looks absolutely amazing! I can wait to try some of your recipes!! They look delicious πŸ™‚

Thanks and thanks for visiting!

12. hands on eye says:

Its definitely a meal am trying.

13. THEJNSREPORT says:

Looks healthy all those greens, just wish I liked avocado enough to eat it regularly.

14. Fyr Fitness says:

Reblogged this on and commented:
    This is just continuing our avocado theme for the recipes this week!!

15. Reblogged this on mylifeasgrace15 and commented:
    Daily dose of greens. ❀

16. Reblogged this on FAB FuN "PLuSiZe" FUNKY FINDS and commented:
    My husband just started taking shots for diabetes. I’ve tried everything before this when he only took the pill , to get him to eat food that would keep it sugar level at a level that wouldn’t put him in the hospital, like it did 2 weeks ago. I could live off food like this, he has got to have a dead animal on his plate or bunches of them combines together to make the most disgusting thing ever Bologna. He live on this yuk. I’m hoping I can get him on more fruits and vegie. Men, got to love um, we don’t have to kill them most of them do that by their self’s.

17. youmustbeyou says:

oh wow this looks very healthy!! I love my greens and so do my kids. thankyou

18. reinventingjena says:

looks soooo good!

19. Reblogged this on helpinghandfarm and commented:
    Yum yum says the bum

20. Knockout for taste and a great nutrition hit (especially for healthy eyes and glowing skin). Fab post!

21. I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award! thank you for sharing your veggin πŸ™‚

Here is the link to your nomination: https://californiaveggin.wordpress.com/2015/02/12/my-acceptance-of-the-liebster-award/

22. tastetingle says:

This looks delicious! ❀

23. Aggie says:

Looks yummy, and the photos are great. Having all the ingredients labeled in one photo makes it easy.