Cinnamon Chocolate Cake with Goji Berries

As the Christmas season gets ever closer, the temptation of sweet treats becomes greater and we can often be easily persuaded to abandon our usual healthy diets with the justification of the festivities. However, Christmas doesn’t have to be a reason to over-indulge in sugary snacks and desserts as there is a massive variety of healthy treats available also. If you’re having guests over then serving up this chocolate cake will prove exactly that! Not only is it made with an abundance of natural ingredients but it also includes one of my all time health favourites – goji berries! These tiny berries are great for our bodies and also add an extra twist of flavour to an already delicious cake!

Cacao is another health weapon in this cake. As you may know, cacao is the natural unrefined compound that is used to make chocolate. This means it Β has the mood enhancing properties of chocolate but is actually fantastic for health as the naturally occurring vitamins and minerals haven’t been lost to processing.

So to make this cake for yourself, grab the following ingredients:

chocolate_goji_cake1 and 1/4 cups of oat flour
1/2 cup of spelt flour
2 tsp of cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of baking soda
1/4 cup of almond butter
1 cup of almond milk
2 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of goji berries
1/2 cup of cacao powder
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of coconut butter – softened
1/3 cup of coconut oil melted

chocolate_goji_cake2This is an incredibly quick and easy recipe to make once you have gathered the ingredients. To begin, pre-heat your oven to 180C / 350F and then mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and stir until you have a smooth mixture. You can then pour the mixture into a greased 9 inch cake tin and place this in the oven for between 20 and 25 minutes.

After this time is up, remove from the oven and slide out of the cake tin. Leave for a few moments to cool and then enjoy!

1. Souzapalooza says:

This looks delish and easy! I’m not familiar with Coconut Butter thought; where do you get it? Is it something I can pick up at Whole Foods?

Coconut butter should be readily available at a decent sized wholefoods store! Enjoy πŸ™‚

2. heartvirtue says:

I love chocolate and goji berries, but I avoid sugar, so this recipe seems to be a good idea!

3. This needs to be in my mouth, right now. This looks amazing Julie! I can’t wait to try it out πŸ™‚ Hope you have a good one! PS: I love the parchment paper “key” to the dry ingredients – stellar idea! πŸ˜€

4. So is cacao different from cocoa? Can one use cocoa instead in this recipe? And – it’s a long shot that you would know this, but I’m asking anyway … do you know if it’s possible to obtain cacao from a verified South American source? I ask because most cocoa used in Western products originates in Africa, where the industry is HEAVILY dependent on slavery. I learned this quite recently and feel strongly that I want to stop using such a product.

Hey and thanks for reading! Yes cacao is different from cocoa, try to look for a raw, organic version and you should be fine! πŸ™‚

5. vika007 says:

Reblogged this on A seattleite's travel thoughts and commented:
    Cannot wait to try this!

6. vika007 says:

It looks great. Will try it for a holiday party!

7. zijakb says:

Healthy cake!!! Now nobody has an excuse to over eat.

8. Ooh I’d love to try this! Only I think I might add cranberries instead, since they’re a holiday berry πŸ™‚

9. lifecoachet says:

Hi Julie, thanks so much for the recipe, I tried it and even though I managed to burn it a bit (forgot it was in the oven!!) it was really great and didn’t feel like I was overindulging with all
    that healthy stuff in it. Thanks so much gonna now try the salad you just posted!! Ersilia

10. Can’t wait to try this!

11. I saw this blog and was immediately drawn to it – I’ve taken up yoga recently and I’m trying to eat healthier. This post, too, caught my attention, because hey, chocolate. πŸ˜€ I’m so glad I stumbled upon this, though. I can’t wait to scroll through the rest of your recipes. Thanks so much!

And thanks to you for visiting!

12. Looks delish! Need to pick up goji berries and coconut butter. Thanks for sharing this recipe.πŸΉπŸΉβ˜€οΈ

13. Delicious! need to try this recipe asap!!