How to Avoid Over-Eating

It’s a trap that many of us fall into and one that the majority of us want to avoid, so why is over-eating such an issue for so many people? Well first of all, the obvious answer – food is generally delicious and enjoying a good meal makes us feel good about ourselves. Then on top of that, there’s the social factor. Eating out with friends is a fantastic way to unwind and when we’re indulging in some social relaxation, it can be all the more difficult to say no to your favourite dessert.

So how can we avoid over-eating and move towards a healthier attitude towards food? First of all, denying yourself all of the foods you consider to be bad foods is the biggest mistake. For many people, what they aren’t allowed is all the more tempting and a total ban is likely to make healthy choices all the more difficult. This is especially true of those who are following a strict diet. Although consuming too many treats will obviously be a huge hindrance to your diet efforts, rewarding yourself for progress every now and then is a good motivational move.

Secondly, avoiding certain nights out where you know you will be tempted to over-indulge, be it with food or alcohol, is also a good idea. That’s not to say you should stop going out and eat only at home, but making sensible choices about the nights out you do have, and the people you have them with, will help you to have greater control over your diet.

Analysing your bad food behaviours to better understand your food choices is something I would recommend everybody does. If you are aware that you are more likely to over-eat during periods of unhappiness or if you over-eat to celebrate something, then you can use this knowledge to help yourself. For example, if you know that you are heading towards the fridge because you’re sad about something, then you will understand this is an instinctual reaction and you can do something positive instead. Try going for a long walk or even going to the gym. The endorphins you’ll get from exercise will far outweigh the temporary high from indulging in a feast. Similarly, if you know you eat unhealthy foods when you are celebrating an event, then you can either avoid food in such situations or make sure that there are healthy options available too.

Learning to control your over-eating can be a long process, especially if you have struggled to stick to a diet before. However, the confidence that knowing you have mastered this control can give you will quickly encourage you to continue making positive choices, leading to a happier and healthier you all round!

1. It really is a long process to teach your mind to make clean, healthy food choices. It is also so worth it in the end! Good advice!

2. Reblogged this on ARealGoodThing and commented:
    I love the nutritional information in this blog!

3. It takes time, patience, and consistency to be able to start healthy eating and it is once you start and feel better about your choices do you then become motivated to continue!

4. Feast Wisely says:

Wise words and in line with my feast wisely philosophy – it’s not about deprivation but more about moderation and mindful eating.

5. Geo Croad says:

you are 100% right

6. Great advice. Are you a coach? Ever thought about it?

7. Reblogged this on Certified Wellness and commented:
    There is a satisfying, simple system for establishing concentrated nutrition- leaving you feeling replenished and energetic- and it is one way to avoid the dangers of overeating.. By being as full as possible on minimal intake.

8. Try drinking a glass of water or too if you’ve eaten and still feel hungry. The hypothalamus of the brain sends out the same signal for thirst as it does for hunger. Often, we confuse the signals based on our emotional needs- we may feel we “need” something to eat because we’re bored, or stressed when in reality our bodies truly require water..

9. dcarmack says:

Great minds seem to think alike. My post today was very similar in theme to yours. Why do we do things that we shouldn’t do?

10. Another problem for you to address, if I may? Apart from for consolatory or celebratory reasons, I tend to overeat when there’s food left over from cooking, too small to equate to a full portion, but still exceeding a single portion if I consume it. It’s quite easy to overeat when you’re cooking for yourself alone…

11. Misti Meads says:

Reblogged this on Misti Meads Blog and commented:
    Advice on avoiding overeating. Something that can often happen in college.

12. greenrich86 says:

Interesting stuff. I agree with what Salim says, drinking a glass of water helps particularly BEFORE your meal. It also takes about 20 minutes to feel full so if you give yourself a smaller portion and then get through the next 20 minutes then your hunger should subside. It works for me most of the time. Also I snack on nuts between meals, not too many mind, but i find it amazing how they fill you up.

13. Eli Pacheco says:

I love this approach. Denial of all things we like is no way to go. I like the idea of more mindful eating – knowing what our triggers are for overeating, and addressing them at the source. Excellent read!

14. carriedupuis19 says:

I consider my health a work in progress. Every day that I make good decisions is a day that I’m bettering myself. Every day that I feel better about myself is a day that it’s easier to make good decisions that make me a healthier person. It has not been something I could have done easily on my own. It was a tremendous help to have support from my family and friends. If you do not have a network of people who are helping you reach your goals, I suggest you go find one! It’s invaluable!

15. You have touched on a vital topic for me. It was very interesting to read this post. I started to use natural cocktails to not feel hungry and lose weight. Tell me how you feel about various food supplements! If you’re interested, I describe the products that I use: http://veloursfleurs.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/beginning-of-the-day/

16. mummymumy says:

Reblogged this on Mummymumy's Blog and commented:
    tips for me actually

17. sariwidji says:

Yes, that is important not to overdo it so …

18. thetravelsofkylie says:

This was very helpful and the article pulled me in right away. Some very good tips you covered. Thank you

19. 16wrens says:

This was very helpful! My blog is going to be about fitness and becoming healthier all around. Your tips will definitely help me 🙂

20. Dr. Chou says:

Reblogged this on and commented:
    Wonderful tips to follow.