Puy Lentil Quinoa, Roasted Aubergines and a Tahini Dressing

This could be one of my favourite creations so far! I was running late for the school run and in fact my entire day was just a LATE day….. I was late for everything!  So I had to whip up something quick but of course, good for the family!  And quinoa is one of the quickest grains to cook.  So while I was cooking that, I roasted some aubergines and boiled some lentils at the same time.  Mixed them together with some soaked goji berries and topped it all with a yummy tahini dressing that I knew the kids love.  So, here’s one family recipe for you that is now a favourite amongst my four kids……

IMG_2405

Serves 4-6

1 large or 2 small aubergines, cut into 1 cm rounds

2-3 Tbsp. Coconut oil, melted

2 tsp. cumin

200g quinoa

250g puy lentils

large handful of sultanas

large handful of pumpkin seeds

For the dressing:

1 Tbsp. tahini

2 Tbsp. tamari

2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

1 Tbsp. honey

Squeeze of lemon

Heat your oven to 200C.  Bring 400ml of water to the boil and add the quinoa.  Bring back to the boil and then cover and simmer until the quinoa is cooked approximately 20 minutes.   At the same time bring a pot of water to boil and add the lentils.  Cook until soft, again another 20-25 minutes.  Coat the sliced aubergine in coconut oil and cover with the cumin.  Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until soft.  In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, lentils and aubergine.  Top with the pumpkin seeds and sultanas.  In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, tamari, apple cider vinegar, honey and lemon and pour over the quinoa mixture.   And voila… that is one delicious and nutritious family meal or even great as a side dish for a dinner party!

For more health and wellness tips, follow me on Instagram @juliemontagu OR keen to learn more about nutrition?  Head to my first online nutrition course:  Nutrition for Optimal Health at http://www.theflexifoodie.com.

IMG_2407

1. jmsabbagh says:

It looks like our “Lebanese Taboulee” Cheers.

2. rovinglights says:

This looks delish! Perfect lunch for me to take in for long days at uni. I love the combination of filling and warming autumn ingredients.

3. Lori says:

I’m very intrigued by this!

4. Lauryn says:

What an amazing combination of flavors! I can’t wait to try the tahini dressing 🙂

5. msokane says:

I love this kind of meal! Quick, easy and all mixed together and eaten in a bowl. I did wonder about the goji berries though. You mentioned them in your intro and they appear to be in the dish in the picture, but they are not listed in the ingredients or in your instructions. Maybe sub for the sultanas?

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

6. TanGental says:

Looks scrummy. Thanks for the follow

7. I’m confused, what are aubergines? Is that another word for eggplant?

8. chrissy says:

Hi Julie, thanks for visiting me. Your blog looks amazing and delicious and healthy! And free from animal products too! I can’t wait to read through your recipes. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to find you. Chrissy x

9. bethharmann says:

This looks great! 🙂

10. slfinnell says:

Been a childcare provider for 18 years + and never have i had so many children (including 1 of mine) with allergies and intolerance to foods. So pleased to add your blog to my list for a ‘go to’ on new recipes. Great stuff!!!!

Thanks for checking out my recipes 🙂

11. my god that looks good

12. Aubergine and tahini is such a great combination – this sounds great! and thanks for stopping by my blog…

13. almaatlanta says:

Omg that sounds so good! I just started to eat Quiona so I’m always looking for new recipes! THANK YOU!

14. keraoregan says:

Wow this looks so satisfying! Will have to try it!

15. PatricioSimon says: