Eating for Oral Health

Your smile is often the first thing people notice about you and taking care of our teeth is an important aspect of overall good health. When you negate your oral health, problems can quickly arise which could lead to a costly trip to the dentist! The foods and drinks that we consume can play a big part in how healthy our teeth are and it’s not difficult to make certain dietary changes to make improvements. In doing so, you can work to avoid painful problems and discolouration.

Encouraging the production of saliva in your mouth is a great way to keep your teeth clean. If you do this by eating foods that are quite crunchy, then you will also be helping to remove plaque from your teeth at the same time. Try apples, celery, nuts and raw carrots to start. These foods make great snacks at any point during the day and will be of particular use if you consume them after a meal.

Strawberries are not only a delicious sweet treat but they are also fantastic for the health of your teeth. In fact, any fruit or vegetable that is high in vitamin C will do good things for your oral health. This is because they encourage collagen growth as well as the development of connective tissue between your gums and your teeth. Vitamin C helps blood vessels to become stronger whilst also reducing inflammation, both important factors in combating the common oral health problem, gingivitis.

Raisins are a popular snack, especially amongst young children. If you ensure that you are eating a brand that has no added sugar then this food type will also provide benefits for your oral health. This is because raisins contain phytochemicals which prevent the growth of certain bad bacteria in the mouth. Adding raisins to your diet once or twice a week is a good way to improve the general health of your mouth.

It is also possible to use certain foods to directly whiten your teeth. For example, taking a piece of orange peel and rubbing it over your teeth is known to be a good way to remove stains. In fact, the majority of citrus fruits are thought to be good for this purpose, but oranges are the most preferable as they cause the least amount of damage to your enamel. If you do this just two or three times a week, then you will soon notice the stains on your teeth begin to get better in appearance.

It is important to both eat the correct foods and make regular visits to your dentist. In doing so you will preserve your beautiful smile and avoid problems in the future!

To learn more about eating for optimal health, check out my e-learning portal, The Flexi Foodie Academy!

1. Spiced Fox says:

LOVE ! thanks of the post

2. lauraeflores says:

This was a great post, lots of info I wasn’t aware of, the raisin bit was especially of interest 🙂

3. Jet Eliot says:

Great informative post. 🙂

4. Tabitha says:

I wonder if I could drink hot water with orange in the morning?
    After 30 years of hot water and lemon, I have stripped the enamel from my teeth and been banned from my ‘healthy start to the day” by my dentist.
    Could you suggest anything else?

Tabitha.

5. DrV says:

As a dentist, I agree on the point prevention in dentistry is the key.
    But, apples are not good for teeth : they contain sugar and acidity, everything that lead to cavities. And I’m a good exemple of it : I had three cavities as a teenager after eating one apple every night. Of course apples are healthy but don’t forget to brush after are eat them for dessert. After a meal, you produce more saliva as you said.
    Vitamin C is uselfull for collagen helping parodontal ligament to grow and avoid parodontis. But beware of lemons : too much in salad sauce for exemple car leeds to sensibilities in teeth. But don’t worry, I never saw scorbut in Europe !
    Raisins seems good but, like apples, they’re sweet and acide. Wine and vinegar are not good for teeth : too much acidity can destroy enamel.
    To remove stains, the best is baking soda. Like always, not too much, twice a week is enough. Ask your local dentist.
    And strangely, you forgot about tea and chocolate ! Tea contains natural fluorids, but can give coloration. And black chocolate is also good for teeth. And delicious.
    But the key is brushing and flossing, that’s how I managed not having cavities during last 30 years….

6. chefwillhall says:

Amazing blog post! Thanks for sharing!

7. 14mayvenus says:

I’m buying an orange immediately!

8. Gina says:

My kids love organic raisins and I have always felt bad letting them eat them. Thanks for sharing the tip about it being good for them!!

9. Katie Robles says:

I’m sure you’ll get a pingback, but I wanted to tell you “in person”: I really liked your post and thought the information was great. As with a lot of information that I want to remember, I made silly jokes about it on my blog and now I’ll never forget celery, raisins, and orange peels! Thanks for the great info 🙂

10. charlotte49 says:

I read an interesting thing in the paper this weekend – Melbourne’s Herald Sun – that mixing strawberries with bicarbonate of soda can be used as a tooth whitening agent but sounds a bit abrasive to me? Perhaps best to stick with the orange peel!

11. ericgril says:

Orange Peel, gotta try that one, Thks.

12. rondita says:

“Your smile is often the first thing people notice about you and taking care of our teeth is an important aspect of overall good health.” This is so true! Nice blog! 🙂