Five Steps to Improving Digestive Health

Eating a healthy diet doesn’t necessarily mean that you are going to achieve the body you want. Even when coupled with exercise, there are several things that you might be doing to sabotage your diet attempts. If you are serious about your health then it is important that you follow the following five rules. You’ll soon be on track for the results you want!

No eating before bed

Eating right before you sleep is a mistake that countless people make. Even just having a post-meal nap can be detrimental to weight loss efforts and should be avoided. When you sleep, your digestive system slows down, so doing this immediately after you eat will prevent your body from digesting the food as it normally would. Lying down as your body is producing digestive juices causes these juices to move towards the esophagus. This obviously isn’t the optimum place for them to be doing their job and can also cause heartburn! Always make sure to leave a few hours between your last meal of the day and bedtime. This way, you can be sure your food has passed correctly through your digestive system and you will also avoid feeling bloated the following morning.

Wash before you eat

When you take a shower or a bath, your body temperature is usually increased because of the water. As the skin heats up, blood flows towards it but this blood is needed in the stomach region to assist digestion. Therefore, if you eat and then wash, you are slowing down this process and making it much more difficult for your body to complete.

Wait a while before you eat fruit

Fruit makes an absolutely fantastic dessert for any main meal. However, it is always best to wait a while before you eat fruit. All foods are digested at a different rate and fruit is the fastest of them all. This means that if you do decide to eat fruit as soon as you’ve finished your main course, you are likely to experience gas and general discomfort. It is even possible that this could lead to weight gain as the process of digestion becomes disturbed. It is best to wait a full two hours after eating a meal before consuming any fruit. This may seem like a long time and could put you off having fruit following a meal altogether, but there are many other healthy alternatives you can consider, such as my Supernut Buttercups!

Don’t drink too much water

Diluting the digestive juices is the biggest hazard when it comes to drinking too much water. When these juices become diluted, it makes it much harder for them to effectively complete their task. It is generally advised that the average person should drink approximately two litres of water everyday. If you feel like you need to, then of course it is okay to drink more than this but try not to over-do it at meal times or immediately after eating.

No exercise after eating

There are two main reasons why you shouldn’t exercise after eating. The most simple of these reasons is that you could make yourself feel sick. Secondly, the body needs time to rest and properly complete the process of digestion following a meal. If you begin to exercise after you have eaten then you are detracting resources from this process. Leaving at least an hour between eating and exercising will prevent these problems from occurring and you can then get the most out of your workout without any unfavorable side effects.

Eating a diet that is created with optimum nutrition in mind is one of the best things you can do for your digestive system. If you want to learn all about eating for optimal health then check out my e-learning portal – The Flexi Foodie Academy!

1. clairet703 says:

Being a night time snack junkie (yes, I did know what it does) I appreciate this convicting reminder. ha! I eat healthy all day long and am very happy and satisfied but for some reason come 9pm I get this overwhelming urge for something sweet.(I try to be good in my snacks but it still goes straight to the tummy.

2. Great advice all around! I had never considered waiting to eat fruit because of the speed of its digestion. Thanks!

-Emma

3. Miia says:

Hey Julie, I just nominated you for the Most Influential Blogger award http://pearlspotting.com/2014/07/07/most-influential-blogger-award/ ! Hope you like it πŸ™‚

4. JamieLeigh says:

Great tips! – Jamie Leigh (jamieleighdujour.com)

5. cpogonch says:

6. cpogonch says:

Reblogged this on Dr Carl M Pogoncheff DDS MS FACP and commented:
    A critical aspect of digestive health is the mechanism by which food is masticated. People’s teeth are a critical component to digestive health. As teeth are lost the bite force decreases. People with no teeth and complete dentures can only chew with around 10% of the biting force of a person with all their teeth. Even one missing tooth can be a big deal. Missing just one back tooth can reduce overall chewing efficiency by 17-33%. As people lose chewing efficiency they tend to lose the ability to eat adequate amounts of protein and fiber. A diet low on fiber due to missing teeth is a recipe for disaster. As people lose teeth and subsequent chewing ability decreases they tend to swallow larger and larger pieces of food. This increases stress on the digestive system. What you eat is important, but how you eat is an important element as well.

7. dcarmack says:

How about drink no cold drinks during a meal. It slows down digesting organisms!

8. Awesome tips and information. Thanks!

9. The “no fruit after a meal” tip is so interesting. I had never thought about that before but now that you mention it, you’re right! Sometimes I want to eat a banana right after dinner to quell any sugar cravings and even though it’s a great low-calorie, high-nutrition option, it always does make me feel a little off.

10. i am fitness freak and i look on my diet very seriously, this post helps me how to follow a health diet..thanks for sharing

11. Ms. Reicher says:

I knew it! It is bad to eat fruits right after meal. Before I always eat fruits especially bananas and apples after eating. I thought it was a good action (of course knowing that they are fruits, and I’ll get the nutrients and minerals I need daily by eating the fruits.) but now I think I should be more careful. Thank you! πŸ™‚

12. bmotv8d says:

Love this information.

13. health says:

I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem is something which too few folks are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy I came across this in my search for something relating to this.

14. Wanda says:

Hi Julie! I wanted to stop by and thank you for following my blog. I’m glad you liked it! I am also enjoying yours and I am overjoyed at all the great info you have here. I will definitely be reading more! Thanks again! πŸ™‚