Cashew Corn Soup with Broccoli Puree

This soup is a particular favourite of mine as it is perfect for both lunch and dinner. Making a big batch of it is enough to refuel my husband and I at lunch time and also to fill all four kids up in the evening! The combination of vegetables, nuts, herbs and spices means that it’s not just satisfying the hunger pangs but also really nourishing the body in the process!

Cashew nuts contain an incredible amount of goodness and are especially great for heart health, muscle growth and fighting infection. Add to that the turmeric, which from my previous post, we already know is a health god of spices, and cumin which boasts a massive array of health boosting properties!

cashew_corn_soup_theflexifoodie3The absolute first thing you need to do when making this soup is soak the cashew nuts for at least four or five hours and it’s better if you do it overnight! So before you go to bed put your cashew nuts in a cup and pour in enough water to cover. Leave the cup in the fridge and they will be ready to use in the morning.

cashew_corn_soup_theflexiefoodieWith these ingredients you will make enough for four servings:

Half a cup of cashew nuts
A bunch of broccoli
Six and a half cloves of garlic
One and a half onions
Almond milk
Dairy-free butter
Pink Himalayan salt
Paprika
Cumin
Turmeric
One and a half cups of sweetcorn
One cube of veg stock
Four cups of water

cashew_corn_soup_theflexifoodie5So for the puree, cut one bunch of broccoli into florets; half will be used for the puree and half for the garnish. Boil the florets in water with the cloves of garlic and half an onion. After a few minutes, remove half of the florets and place them in cold water to cool them down until they are cold. Boil the remaining broccoli for a further ten minutes.

cashew_corn_soup_theflexifoodie6Once the broccoli, garlic and onions are boiled, blend them together with a splash of almond milk and a tablespoon of dairy-free butter. Chuck in a dash of salt, a pinch of paprika and half a clove of raw garlic.

cashew_corn_soup_theflexifoodie4Moving on to the soup, fry a chopped onion in some oil over a medium heat with four cloves of garlic. After a few moments, add in a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of garlic and continue to fry. After another minute add in half a cup of the soaked cashew nuts and the one and a half cups of sweetcorn. Now is the time to pour in four cups of water, bring it to the boil and then let it simmer for one hour.

cashew_corn_soup_theflexifoodieAfter this hour has passed, add a cube of veg stock into the pan and continue to simmer for another half an hour. You can now blend it to a fine consistency and add more salt if necessary. Your soup is now ready to be served into bowls. Once you have done so, pour as much puree as you like over the top and also position a couple of pieces of the previously blanched broccoli in the centre of each bowl to decorate. Enjoy!

1. I’m not a fan of cashews and wanted to know if there is a substitute?

Hey thanks for visiting! I would think that this would work just as well with Macademia nuts. I will give it a try next time I make a batch!

2. MrJohnson says:

You can easily serve it to babies too!

3. dfolstad58 says:

Reblogged this on Notes from "A Place to Live Forever" and commented:
    I love this recipe, just a few ingredients, nothing too rare you wouldn’t have it in your kitchen. I already have a soup planned for tonight but I will be trying this one soon.

4. Vohn says:

I adore cashew nuts but have never had a nut soup before. I will definitely be trying this one out, thanks! Vohn x

5. j3st3r91 says:

This looks so so so yummy! And lovely photos 🙂

6. j3st3r91 says:

Reblogged this on Animals Are Not Food and commented:
    Something else to make! 🙂

7. brianegghead says:

We have been making a vegan cream of mushroom soup lately with cashews but I have been getting tired of it! I can’t wait to try this!!!

8. tishmoon says:

Oh my word, this looks like the best soup EVER ! =) I am going to the market this weekend to grab some cashews, I really HAVE to make this… my foxling agrees that your snaps look amazing ! =) If mine comes out half as nice as yours, I will take a photo and send it your way ! Thanks again for all the wonderful recipes ! =)

I would love to see your photos if you do make it! Thanks for reading 🙂

1. tishmoon says:

Anytime at all, it is so refreshing to read a foodie blog that is healthful as well as fun ! =)

9. janecleanfourteen says:

mmm – sounds rich and creamy and delectable!

10. Jennifer says:

This looks delicious! I very recently discovered the magic of cashews (cashew-coconut “ice cream” is amazing) and am very interested in adding to soup as well. Thanks for sharing!

11. I have wanted to try and cook with cashews like this for a long time! Definitely will try to make this soon!

12. wow the soup looks delicious and just the thing for after a hard cycling practise!

13. thefoxybaker says: