Tenderstem Broccoli, Sundried Tomato and Walnut Salad

I am all about dark, green, leafy vegetables these days.  I want to somehow always try to incorporate them into my day and if I can at every single meal!  This salad came to me as I was staring at my broccoli in the fridge wondering what I would do with it rather than the same ol’ boring steaming and without having to make a dressing as well.  I wanted something quick for lunch but then realised that this recipe makes a great side salad for supper too!

IMG_1279But seriously, where do I even begin with the health benefits of eating broccoli.  There are SO many!  So, I’ll hone in on a few to truly convince you that broccoli truly is a SUPERFOOD! Broccoli contains a high amount of potassium, which helps maintain a healthy nervous system and optimal brain function, as well as promotes regular muscle growth.  Along with a high amount of potassium, Broccoli also contains magnesium and calcium that help regulate blood pressure.  Broccoli also contains high amounts of Vitamin C and Calcium (YAY!)  and thanks to the glucoraphanin it contains as it helps the skin to detoxify and repair itself.

IMG_1278

But I also want to zoom in quickly on the sun-dried tomatoes which are so unbelievably yummy that I had a hard time not eating all of them before the salad was finished……oops!  Did you know that a half-cup of sun-dried tomatoes counts as a full cup or raw or cooked vegetables according to the USDA.  And the drying of the sun-dried tomatoes brings out the sweetness…. no wonder I couldn’t stop eating them!

IMG_1276So to make this salad that serves 2-3 as a side dish grab yourself these ingredients.

2-3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil

large bunch of tenderstem broccoli

4 large cloves of garlic

1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes

1/2 cup of walnuts

sea salt (preferable pink himalayan – see my other blog post on this incredible mineral!)

freshly ground black pepper

chilli flakes

IMG_1283

IMG_1282Make sure you wash your broccoli before you begin cooking.  Slice the garlic cloves into thin slices and you’re ready to get cooking.  Turn your stove on a moderately high heat and heat 2-3 Tbsp. of coconut oil into your pan.  As it begins to get hot, add the slices of garlic and fry for 30 seconds, making sure the garlic doesn’t begin to go brown.  Next, add all of the broccoli and sauté for a couple of minutes before emptying the cup of sun-dried tomatoes into the pan.  Sprinkle the chilli flakes on top as much as desired, lower the heat slightly and continue to sauté.

IMG_1287In a separate pan, warm the walnuts for one to two minutes so that you can see that they begin to brown ever so slightly.  As soon as the nuts are ready, you can serves the broccoli and sun-dried tomato mix onto a dish, sprinkle with the walnuts and enjoy!

For more pictures like these, follow me on Instagram!

IMG_1290

1. What a pretty dish! I bet it tastes good too 🙂

2. awax1217 says:

I have got to try that with some humus.

3. islandgal808 says:

Reblogged this on islandgal808's Blog and commented:
    This looks so good!

4. M. R. says:

Looks DIVINE!!! – brilliant! Thanks, as well. 🙂

5. Sounds and looks delicious

6. This looks like some intense fiber going on. Your GI must be happy lol, looks great 🙂

7. coogeecat says:

Looks sensational!

8. aditicusp says:

This is gorgeousness!! Gonna try it soon…

9. Reblogged this on My Fitness Mentor – Olympian Stuart McIntosh and commented:
    Another great recipe from Julie Montagu! If you don’t know the name, you best remember it!!! She has lots of really tasty veggie based meals and most are quick and simple… I hope you enjoy this and her other recipes as much as I do.

10. HauteHealthyLiving says:

Looks delicious! Will have to try!

11. So pretty and spring-like. Thanks for the post… the tomatoes look so lovely!

12. Wow, that looks delicious! I’ll have to try this recipe.

13. This looks like a real keeper–especially for a nice summer meal!

14. kaiteking says:

mmm, that looks delicious! Come over and make that for me!!

Haha! Glad you think so 🙂

15. gshelby3 says:

Julie,

This looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing this.

Thank you, also, for following me at Blog213.com. I’m a new blogger and really interested in seeing how it’s done. You’ve got such great design and content. Looking forward to reading more!

Much appreciated.

Graham

16. bibusch says:

Lovely dish. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks and have a lovely Sunday!

17. llmkillian says:

Reblogged this on llmkillian and commented:
    Great recipe, I’ve been looking for more veggie record for ages!

18. llmkillian says:

Great recipe, i’m looking forward to trying this. I love the story pictures and personal commentary too!

19. Ty Mall says:

This food looks great. And zooming in on each part of the spread was a nice touch. I appreciate you following my blog, Fiction and Copy Decoded. Have an awesome day.

20. simplysneaks says:

looks so nice. Love me some Broccolii

21. I am so glad to finally see someone else who values vegetables, particularly dark greens, as much as I do. Although I have always followed a plant based diet, I am not nearly as creative as you. I made this salad and it was delicious. Thank you for a great meal. 🙂