A Daily Dose of Epsom Salt

This is a favourite of mine that sadly seems to have declined in popularity in recent years. Epsom salt is more likely to be something your parents tell you about rather than something you have come across yourself. This mineral compound is made from sulphate and magnesium and has been used for many hundreds of years to treat a wide selection of minor health issues. As well as being used to cure ailments, Epsom salt can be used for various other reasons such as for beauty as well as around the home and garden.

One of the most common reasons people use Epsom salt is to alleviate stress. Stress can often be caused by heightened levels of adrenaline as well as a magnesium deficiency. Drawing yourself a hot bath and dissolving Epsom salt in the water will easily allow your skin to absorb it and this will replenish your magnesium levels. In turn, the magnesium helps to produce serotonin which is great for lifting your mood. In addition to this, it is thought that bathing in Epsom salt at least three times every week will increase your energy levels. Approximately two cups of the salt should be enough for each bath! You will note that after several of these baths, the Epsom salt will also put a stop to any unwanted foot odour.

Eliminating toxins from your body is another fantastic function of Epsom salt. Again, add two cups to your bath and bathe for at least ten minutes every time. The salt will draw toxins out from the body and you will soon notice any existing muscle pain beginning to ease. This pain relieving property isn’t restricted to just muscle aches and you can also use Epsom salt to treat any headaches or migraines that you might be experiencing.

Your skin has much to gain by incorporating this salt into your beauty regime. For example if you mix just one cup with a tablespoon of coconut oil, then you can apply this to your face as an exfoliating cleanser.  You can also make an effective blackhead remover solution by adding a teaspoon of Epsom salt to three or four drops of iodine and mixing with half a cup of boiling water. While it is still hot, use this mixture to wipe over any blackheads and notice the change!

If you prefer to put this salt to use around the house then you will find that it is fantastic for cleaning the tiles in your bathroom. To do so you will have to combine an equal amount of salt to a liquid detergent (any of your choice) and scrub away. Make sure you rinse well afterwards and you will really see them shine! It is also possible to sprinkle a dash of Epsom salt over your plants and grass areas once a week to promote healthy growth and appearance. The extra dose of magnesium will encourage greener grass as well as giving supplemental nutrients to all of your plants!

To discover more great ways to cleanse your body, don’t forget to enter my Radiance Cleanse competition!

1. MissFit says:

great article, what are you thoughts on internal use/ingestion?

Hey there and thanks for reading! Epsom salts don’t taste great which puts some people off but I think there are definitely some health benefits to be found in doing so. I would suggest trying one teaspoon a week mixed in with a tasty drink or smoothie. Let me know if you notice any change 🙂

2. ptejes says:

Perfect timing as I plan to detox next week and this is a great reminder about the powers of Epsom salts!

3. Reblogged this on Carsons front porch and commented:
    Julie, The Flexi Foodie, ‘liked’ my “Sometimes Waiting is Worth it” blog post. I visited her website and found out somethings about Epsom salt I didn’t know. In her post she gives some great ways to use Epsom salt to relieve stress and remove toxins from our bodies.Parents and teachers alike can let stress build up in their bodies in the form of cortisol without taking time for themselves to release it and restore their health and peace of mind. Children can sense the emotional energy of the adults around them and tend to mirror that energy. Then a cycle is created. So go ahead parents and teachers, take care of yourself so that you can take care of our children.

Thank you Julie!

4. Julie, As a truck driver baths are a rare luxury. Last time I saw a tub was probably about a year or more ago. Normally all I see are showers. Any suggestions on how truck drivers who may rarely if ever have access to a bath can make use of Epsom Salts?

You could try a footbath 🙂

2. MissFit says:

Gi there! I know you asked Julie for a reply but I figured I would pitch in too…a little collective conscience never hurt anyone …

The wonderful thing about espoused salts is that the granual s will clump together when wet. This means you can stand in a shower abs using the dampness of the steam place some clumps of epsom salt on you neck and shoulders (pack it down) and stand with your back to the tile away from the water spout. Do some deep breathing and gentle neck rolls for as long as desired. If you have a place to sit outside if the shower like a bench simply sit near letting the steam work for you abd then step back in the shower to rinse off the salts.

That might not have translated well in text so please let me know if you have any questions! !

1. MissFit says:

And sorry for all the typos my phone froze and it posted! Let me know if you have questions

3. Sam! says:

My friend – if a footbath doesn’t work for you, there are actually spritz-on magnesium oils that you can find – it works very well to relax tight muscles, I can only imagine the knots from driving all day!

I use the Ancient Minerals brand, but I think the cheaper stuff will do as well: http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Minerals-Magnesium-Oil-oz/dp/B001AD0HL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411433531&sr=8-1&keywords=magnesium+oil