Black Bean Guacamole

Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that are the easiest, right?  Well, here’s a recipe that the statement certainly applies to!  I am seriously obsessed with guacamole.  I could probably live on it for the rest of my life… and to be honest, no one makes better guac than they do in the States.  There are so many things I love about living in London but this foodie misses her GUACAMOLE!  And here’s the thing – it is so easy to whip up in seconds and have it on rye bread in the morning or with some corn chips for a mid-afternoon snack.  In this recipe, I wanted to add a twist to it and make it VERY Tex-Mex and thus the black beans have been added!

P1040602

For a good portion of black bean guacamole dip, grab yourself these ingredients:

2 large avocados, peeled and pitted

1 cup of black beans, cooked (from a tin is fine too, just make sure to drain and rinse)

1 small red onion

A large handful of coriander

1/2 a lime, juiced

1 garlic clove

Pinch of pink himalayan sea salt

P1040633

Let’s quickly zoom in on black beans and their mighty nutritional profile.

Black beans are packed with fiber and protein. That means they’ll satisfy even the most intense hunger, and will keep you feeling full and energetic for hours. Black beans help to regulate your body’s glucose level throughout the day, which means your metabolism will be chugging away at top speed, burning through any extra calories you’ve taken on so that you can stay slim and trim. Plus, the fiber content of black beans will help you beat cholesterol. The soluble fiber in black beans binds with the bile acids in your system and carries them out of your body, making it impossible for those acids to become cholesterol. This is great news for your heart health, and can dramatically reduce your risk of a stroke or heart attack. Black beans also pack a large amount of insoluble fiber, which is fuel for your digestive system, and helps keep your whole digestive tract in top shape. This prevents a wide range of ailments, including short-term bouts of constipation and chronic conditions like diverticulosis and irritable bowel syndrome. Plus, black beans are high in antioxidants called anthocyanins, which help fight the free radicals in your system, so black beans are a powerful nutritional weapon in the fight against cancer and the aging process. They are also high in iron and manganese, two important building blocks of a healthy overall diet.

P1040639

Place the red onion, coriander, lime and pressed garlic into your food processor until finely chopped.  Next, add the avocados and sea salt and PULSE unit you get a chunky texture.  Transfer this mixture to a bowl and fold in the black beans and seriously , that is it!  Your guest will be raving about this simple, nutritious and delicious dip!

P1040648

If you like this post then why not like my Facebook page or follow me on Twitter or Instagram!

1. Global Girl says:

What a great idea! I love guacamole and black beans but never thought of putting them together. This would be delicious!

2. taplatt says:

mmm…guac. I like the idea of adding black beans. I usually throw a bit of tomato into mine:

3. Britta says:

Yum!!! The simple things in life really are the easiest! Such a good idea to add beans to the guac, I love adding some more protein whenever I can. Delicious recipe 🙂

4. Victoria.H says:

I love guacamole ! This looks super yum !

5. p3farm says:

Love me some guacamole! I recently started mixing my guac with my Pico de gallo, yum yum!!! Will have to try your recipe!

6. jannatwrites says:

Guacamole is like its own food group in Arizona- it goes with everything! I’ve never had it with black beans, so I’m really interested in trying it!

7. MELewis says:

One of my great despairs of living in France is how hard it is to find ingredients like black beans. But the times, they are a-changing…and your post inspires me to check out the international section again. This is a must try. Cheers!

8. lruthnum says:

God this looks incredible! Will definitely be trying this one – I’ve never bothered to make my own guacamole before but this just looks too good 🙂

9. kateahendry says:

This looks and sounds delicious. I will have to get some avocados and whip this up. Thanks for the recipe.

10. veggiereader says:

my two favorite things in one place. YUM!!

11. I love black beans so this recipe sounds great! Thanks 🙂

12. russel79 says:

Hi thanks for the follow, I nominated you for the Liebster Award http://themountainsiclimb.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/liebster-award/

13. Frugal Fish says:

Yum. Thanks for liking my post, “Too Cold For Summer Tea.”

14. robertrun says:

i like avocado in the morning.. so much.. thanks for following my blog. i have a whole category for food blogs, you are -so- in there. cheers.

15. trinkets says:

Hey Julie, Thanks for following my blog! Oh and for posting this recipe. I’m always on the hunt for new ways to use black beans. They’re hard to find in Australia but since moving to Hong Kong they’re everywhere and I’m loving them!

16. meryoungson says:

this has got me craving guac! black beans included 🙂

17. lillia2014 says:

Looks absolutely delicious…thanks!!

18. Rachael says:

Great recipe. I don’t like to cook but this has me heading to the kitchen.

19. Roho Ya Chui says:

Thank you Julie for the follow 🙂 Your blog looks great!

20. Mr. V. says:

Julie, thanks for visiting and following my blog. Your blog looks really cool, I’ll be back to check out some more of your recipes.

As for this one, definitely have to try it out some time. Looks delicious.

21. araneus1 says:

Thank you for the follow, it’s very encouraging.
    Terry

P.S. your site is delicious.

22. This is such a great idea for a dish!

23. Great cooking and wonderful recipes.My wife and l love to cook for our grand kids.Thank you so much for following my blog.Wishing you the best.jalal

24. kimbalena2 says:

This looks so delish! Now all I have to do is find the time to make it!

25. leggypeggy says:

Thanks so much for visiting, liking and following my blog. I’m going to have fun exploring yours. Lots of great recipes and information. Yummo!

26. Ashley @ Snow Cream and Syrup says:

Yum… yum… ❤ guacamole! So simple but so delicious.

27. Sam says:

Thanks for following my blog! This sounds delicious.

28. FitnessPMP says:

This recipe is awesome. I’ve been making guacamole for years, but I switched up to this recipe. It actually convinced my teenage son to stop wasting allowance on ranch and other fatty dips with potato chips and take up guacamole. Thanks for the awesome easy recipe.