Quinoa and Cannellini Bean Burgers

Okay, I must admit…… I’m a veggie burger addict.   I LOVE them!  And when I know they’re homemade, I’m the happiest girl.  I’ve even managed to convert my four kids, but it was hard!  There are so many ‘burger’ joints popping up around London BUT luckily all of them do have the ‘veggie’ option and I’m very honoured and pleased to say that my 15 year old ALWAYS orders one.   However, converting kids to like/love veggie burgers as much as beef burgers is/was difficult.  And so, your really need a GOOD recipe to do just that.  If you throw something from the supermarket that was frozen and tasteless in front of them, you’ve got a harder hill to climb.  But if you take the time to actually prepare a delicious veggie choice, then I can pretty much guarantee this:  they’ll like it!

P1040675

But let’s talk quinoa for a second.

1. Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.

2. Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. Fibre is most widely known to relieve constipation. It also helps to prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes. Fibre lowers cholesterol and glucose levels, may lower your risk of developing hemorrhoids, and may help you to lose weight (it takes a longer time to chew than does other foods because it makes you feel fuller for longer and is less “energy dense,” which means it has fewer calories for the same volume of food).

3. Quinoa contains Iron. Iron helps keep our red blood cells healthy and is the basis of hemoglobin formation. Iron carries oxygen from one cell to another and supplies oxygen to our muscles to aid in their contraction. Iron also increases brain function because the brain takes in about 20% of our blood oxygen. There are many benefits of iron; it aids in neurotransmitter synthesis, regulation of body temperature, enzyme activity and energy metabolism.

4. Quinoa contains lysine. Lysine is mainly essential for tissue growth and repair.

5. Quinoa is rich in magnesium. Magnesium helps to relax blood vessels and thereby to alleviate migraines. Magnesium also may reduce Type 2 diabetes by promoting healthy blood sugar control. Other health benefits of magnesium include transmission of nerve impulses, body temperature regulation, detoxification, energy production, and the formation of healthy bones and teeth.

6. Quinoa is high in Riboflavin (B2). B2 improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells.

7. Quinoa has a high content of manganese. Manganese is an antioxidant, which helps to prevent damage of mitochondria during energy production as well as to protect red blood cells and other cells from injury by free radicals.

Image 19-10-2013 at 13.10

So this recipe makes six yummy burgers!

• 1 tin of cooked cannellini beans
  • 1 cup cooked red quinoa (makes it more attractive!)
  • 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • healthy handful of parsley, chopped
  • coconut oil
  • pink himalayan sea salt + black pepper

P1040685

Let’s go….

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and coat with app. 2 Tbsp. of coconut oil.  Add chopped shallots and cook for a minute until soft.  Add the crushed garlic, fennel and cumin and cook for another minute until you smell the amazing aroma and the garlic is soft.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Put the cannellini beans, quinoa and breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl.  Add the chopped parsley and now cooled shallot mix.  Using your hands (much more fun, especially for kids!) combine everything together, mashing the beans well so that the mixture turns into a paste.  Season with salt and pepper

Once combined into a paste, create lovely veggie burger patties about the size of your palm and about an inch thick.

Fry those gorgeous veggie burgers over medium high heat and add a tablespoon of coconut oil to coat the pan.  Cook the veggie burgers for approximately three minutes each side and you will then have a super delicious, incredibly healthy veggie burger!

P1040699

P1040708

Your delicious bean burger can be dressed with mustard, home-made ketchup, onions, avocado and placed between either two leaves of collard greens or a good ol’ wholewheat bun!  Yum!!!!!

P1040718

If you like this blog post, then why not like me on FACEBOOK or follow me on INSTAGRAM and TWITTER!

1. Miia says:

Just yesterday I bought red quinoa (red looks so much more attractive!) without knowing what I will do with them. Thanks for this recipe 🙂

2. 14mayvenus says:

was just thinking about quinoa – didn’t know it contained protein. I had a quinoa ‘detox’ salad at Le Pain Quotidien here in Tokyo – it was amazing!

3. These sound delicious! I love veggie burgers because they’re so versatile. I want to try making these.

4. KnitNell says:

mmmm – I keep meaning to try quinoa but haven’t got around to it yet. Bean burgers sound a good way to start.

5. k9143984 says:

so beautiful color you made!

6. Hi Julie. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the follow. These look truly delicious and almost make me wish I had my own kitchen to try them out – not quite though. Travelling and tasting local foods from all around the world is keeping my tastebuds pretty happy for the time being. When I do have a home to call my own again though, remind me of this recipe and the other delicious looking foods you have here so I can keep enjoying new food forever!

7. I recently got into quinoa and I’m loving it. it nearly replaced my need for rice grains and that’s saying a lot coming from an Asian. I need to try this recipe… quinoa is really flexible and versatile

8. Laura Lynn says:

I, too, cannot get enough! This recipe looks perfect so I’m trying it tonight. Thanks.

9. THEJNSREPORT says:

Love veggie burgers but those just don’t seem to look very appetizing. I hope they taste way better than they look. 😉

10. Hey, I’m going to try making these.

11. I’m going to try this recipe, sound good and healthy . . . just saying

12. elizabethagevry says:

This looks amazing!!! I will definitely have to give it a try. Keep an eye out for my black bean and roasted corn veggie burgers, I am always amazed at just how many types you can make.

13. Victoria.H says:

This looks great ! I love veggie burgers. I have a great black bean burger recipe you’d probably love ! And they are oven baked !

14. I love veggie burgers and this sounds like a good one.

15. These look delicious! I’ll be giving them a try!

16. ayaradi says:

i am doing this tomorrow. the kids will hate me, but who cares 🙂

17. chefjulianna says:

Wow! I love quinoa, but have not made burgers with it yet! Can’t wait to try your gorgeous recipe! Thanks!

18. ginjuh says:

Yum, I’m trying this.

19. cathbester says:

Reblogged this on The Arrival Of The Birds and commented:
    Amazing! 🙂

20. sued51 says:

Julie,
    This sounds great…I love Cannelli beans…I’m just learning to like Quinoa…I will definitely try it.

21. geogonhayley says:

these look so yummy! Will definitely be making these! 😀 glad I found your blog!

22. FREAKING AMAZING sounding recipe! Can’t wait to try!

23. Reblogged this on off the plate and commented:
    This is a great recipe. I love quinoa, though developing a sustainable source should be a priority if we want to continue to benefit from it.

24. ncnfoodie says:

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try them!

25. ncnfoodie says:

I have some great vegetarian and juicing recipes. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook: NettiesCookinNow

26. Thanks for the follow Julie! This recipe sounds awesome. I really like the focus and content of your blog and look forward to reading and learning more!

Thanks for visiting, Steve!