Radish Avocado Salad with Chia Tahini Dressing

I’m always looking for quick, easy salads that I can just chop up and whip together and this is one of them.   But lately I’ve been reading about the MANY benefits of radishes and wanted to incorporate them into something yummy and thus this recipe was born.  I get it, radishes aren’t the tastiest of all veggies out there, but combined with a killer dressing or dip, you’re getting a delicious treat with SOOOOOOO many benefits!

P1040217

So let’s talk radishes! First of all, they’re kind of pretty to look at and the health benefits are unbelievable……Radishes are a serious Super Hero Food that come in a little package.  Researchers at India’s Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University found that radishes induce apoptosis – meaning they kill cancer cells. Compounds called isothiocyanates and anthocyanins are found in abundance in radishes and have been proven effective in the fight against cancer in several studies.  If you have chronic bronchial flare-ups, sinus infections or asthma, radishes can act as a natural decongestant.  They’ve been shown to lower cholesterol, manage diabetes and regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels.  The water and fiber content make radishes surprisingly filling, and the lack of calories (19 calories per cup!) puts them at the top of the “best diet” foods. The surprising number of nutrients found in these small vegetables means you aren’t skimping on nutrition while cutting back on fats, sugars and carbs.  So, let’s eat this Super Hero food, like now!

P1040249
so if you’re anything like me…. I always wanted to make them work in a recipe but it’s sort of hard, right?  Well, not anymore.  Here is a quick and delicious recipe to whip up for lunch or even for a dinner party!

Serves 3-4

2 cups radishes, diced

1 cup red pepper, diced

large handful of black olives

large handful of coriander, chopped

1 small avocado, diced

1/2 red onion, thinly sliced

1 spring onion, chopped

Chia Tahini dressing

2 tablespoons chia seeds

2 tablespoons tahini

1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds

juice of 1 lemon

1 tablespoons fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon tamari

1 tablespoon agave or honey

pinch of himalayan sea salt

pinch of chill powder

fresh coriander and spring onions for garnish

P1040270

In a large pretty bowl add all the ingredients for the salad.  Blend all the dressing ingredients in a food processor until smooth.  The dressing will be quite thick but when you mix it through the salad it will become thinner.  Toss until well combined and garnish with the coriander and spring onion.  Enjoy!

P1040286

Now this is what I call a truly Super Food, Super Hero Salad!  If you like this blog post then why not LIKE my Facebook page or check out my website at www.juliemontagu.com for more healthy lifestyle tips!

P1040289

1. uglicoyote says:

Reblogged this on Vegan,Vegan.

2. Grannymar says:

That looks and sounds yummy!

3. jamoroki says:

If the food tastes as good as the photographs look it should be awesome. I’m reblogging this on my jewellery blog. Thank you Julie.

4. Definitely a winner! Adding this to my recipe database

5. p3farm says:

Yummy is right!!

6. I’m going to give this a try but will confess, I find radish ‘hot.’ Thank you Julie.

7. Reblogged this on goodfoodmama and commented:
    This looks so yummy! Had to reblog this recipe!

8. Yummy! Reblogged on GoodFoodMama

1. * hi there, what is your opinion on foods for an ama

9. My knowledge of using chia seeds in recipes is very limited. This looks and sounds great, I shall give it a try! Thanks 🙂

10. I love avocados…you got me there 🙂

11. Thanks for this. I will make this one day! I promise! I always enjoy your posts. Check out my blog. Let me know what you think.

12. alkoko says:

I tried your Chia Tahini dressing and thought it was delicious! I am always on the look out for new and exciting ways to combine old favourites and this is definitely going on the bumper summer radish harvest list.

13. beautifully constructed posts — thanks for following my blog :-

14. twobitwo says:

This looks like a must-try. Thanks for dropping by at http://sunnydistrict.wordpress.com/, hope you’ll come visit again 🙂

15. Ryan says:

That looks good!

16. ramzsays says:

This looks incredible!!

17. LubbyGirl says:

I am neither vegetarian (love my meat!) nor vegan – we love all food the Lord has given us, including meat, vegetables, and fruits. If this is as good as it looks, then I GOTTA bookmark this, and get the ingredients when we go grocery shopping this weekend!

18. Anything with radishes…..Simply anything with radishes……and if they are French Breakfast Radishes……..*sigh*

19. lauraeflores says:

This looks amazing, me and my husband switched over to a plant based diet the beginning of this year and I can’t tell you how happy I am we did that! I’m not the greatest cook so quick and easy recipes are something I’m always looking for… I have a feeling I will be frequently visiting your blog from now on.

20. hessiafae says:

Thanks for liking and following. This is a beautiful salad. Trying to rise above my (beefy) Midwest roots, so this recipe is a keeper!

21. Carole says:

Julie, radishes are fab – I even stir fry them. Cheers

PS I’ve got my very first ever giveaway running over at Carole’s Chatter. Hope you stop by.

22. Yummy!!! I love the blend of fresh flavors. Definitely trying this one!
    Erin

23. mscharlies says:

Thanks for following WordBowlbyMsCharlieS — and thank you for introducing me to YOUR work. This looks like a serious superhero salad, cannot wait to try. YUM

24. Thanks for stopping by! I’ve got to try one of your recipes!

25. Jack Curtis says:

Nice spiral in the logo!
    The salad reads appetizingly enough, but… I still haven’t met a radish that’s been nice to me…

26. monicasicoe says:

yum! i have to try this

27. mollsymic says:

sounds amazing! love tahini

28. This looks soooooo delicious! And it’s beautiful!