Warm Dal with Spinach (from ‘tibits at home’ cookbook)

First and foremost, HUGE apologies for the 2  month delay in posts!  We’ve had a very busy summer and then getting all 4 kids back to school and other work life bits has consumed me…… until NOW!  So, posts are officially back and I’m so excited that they are!  I can feel the chill in the air in London that Autumn has officially arrived – and I love it!  The crisp air, the leaves falling and my kids playing so much sport…… every weekend has definitely made me crave something warm and grounding!

photo-1

So when I was sent a lovely cookbook called ‘tibits at home’ from the incredible tibits restaurant – I couldn’t wait to cook from it! Not only is there a restaurant in Soho (London), but there are locations in Zurich, Winterhur, Berne and Basel.  tibits has been serving healthy vegetarian food for over a decade and was established by three brothers and the according to the Guinness Book of World Records, their restaurant in Zurich is the oldest vegetarian restaurant in the world!  The cookbook is filled with delicious, seasonal recipes and it was hard to choose which one to do for this blog!  But after much deliberation, the Warm Dal with Spinach won!  So, let’s get started….

P1040076

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp garam masala

1 tsp turmeric

500g fresh spinach

400ml coconut milk

200ml water

freshly ground sea salt and black pepper

1/2 lemon, juiced

P1040086I was lucky enough to have some super fresh, organic spinach on hand from my inlaws kitchen garden.  I especially love the photo of the spinach in the basket, basking in the sunny autumn day!  But remember you can use any dark green leafy vegetable if you don’t have spinach on hand…. kale works just as well too!

P1040114Serves 4 as a main and 6 as a side….. you decide!

Method:

1.  Cook the lentils for about 8 minutes in water and then drain.

2. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.  Peel the ginger and grate finely.  Heat a frying pan, then add the oil and sweat the onion until transparent.  Add the garlic, ginger and spices and fry for 1 minute, until the mixture develops its fragrance.

3.  Wash and pluck the spinach, add to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.

4.  Add coconut milk and water, and stir well.

5.  Add the drained lentils, mix in well and cook for a further 5 minutes.

6.  Season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice.

P1040121Serve in warm bowls with some wholewheat pita bread or brown rice or maybe just a simple side salad!  YUMMY!  The flavours in this recipe are perfection.  And I love it that it has turmeric, the new queen of spice that research says may help ward of dementia and reduce the risk of cancer.  I’m in!  Be sure to check out ‘tibits at home’ cookbook at http://www.tibits.co.uk and also their restaurants too!  I’m lucky enough to be heading to their Soho location in mid-October to check out their Autumn menu and will be posting my review here!  So stay tuned!!!!

And if you like this post then why not like my Facebook, or follow me on Twitter or Instagram!

P1040147

1. bakeritalia says:

A wonderful and easy recipe, photos are beautiful!

2. Inspiring. Looks delicious.

3. Looks savory and soothing.

4. This looks so savory and satisfying….YUM!

5. chefmo73 says:

I love lentils and I am going to try your recipe. I am not such a spinach fan. I may substitute it with kale or other greens.

6. gpcox says:

Love spinach – don’t think you could do anything to it I wouldn’t like – but this sounds great.

7. Julie, this is ace, I made it this evening! Hope you’re well and look forward to seeing you again soon Best Wishes Catherine

________________________________

8. jellyjill78 says:

Julie nice one 🙂 Loved the way you have shown the step by step explanation of an Indian dish. Kudos. I am an expert in the spinach daal too.

9. marquis784 says:

Looks interesting! I’m always looking for new and exciting nutritious food!
    Thanks for stopping by my site!

10. jezjohn says:

Thanks for following my blog, I must say I am very excited about the recipes on your blog, and it reminded me that I have to pick our pumpkin to make some soup!

11. mybesthelper says:

This looks delicious!

12. Looks yummy, and you make it feel simple. Thanks for this, and for the follow!

13. Fantastic. wholesome and nutritious. Just planted some spinach, should be up by the end of next month. Just in time for the cooler weather.

14. I’m definitely making this Julie. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

15. I meant to thank you for following me. I’m following you as well Julie. Everything you make looks delicious and I look forward to trying the recipes. It is intriguing in that there are some ingredients that I have not seen, so thanks for putting the photos up. I will now know what to look for when I shop.

16. Alix says:

So happy you are back with some more delicious recipes! I will try this one for sure…. Thank you!

17. looks healthy and delicious!

18. byrontully says:

Great recipes! And you’re right: yoga and the right diet make health a foregone conclusion! Continued success, Byron – The Old Money Guy

19. mawil1 says:

Thanks for following my blog. I’m interested in eating more ‘plant based’ foods ( a la Scott jurek) so I will be following your blog with interest! Julie.

20. Adrian B says:

I like your blog it is full with interesting recipes and healthy tips . Thank you for following my blog.

21. elmcal says:

Thank you for liking my post and for the follow, Julie.

22. OMG just ate and still feel hungry after seeing this dish! yumm! thanks for the great post ;)!

23. lizardyoga says:

Looks great. Do you have any interesting green bean recipes?

Yes, in fact I do! Check out this one and let me know what you think – https://theflexifoodie.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/green-bean-and-tahini-salad/ Thanks for visiting!

24. Thanks for visiting my blog. Looking forward to reading more of yours and trying some recipes!

25. bluebrightly says:

I love dal – this looks good!

26. restlessjo says:

Hi Julie! I’m not much of a cook but this looks very tasty. Many thanks for following mine. No recipes, guaranteed 🙂

27. This was an awesome dish – I made it last week. I accidentally picked up turnip greens for it and didn’t realise it until we got home…but it tastes really good with turnip greens, too.

28. Sugarcrush says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’m always looking for new India-inspired dishes to make. And thanks for liking the beef post on my blog. 🙂

29. swabby429 says:

I’m going to prepare some of this. I love South Asian cuisine.

30. meenas17 says:

Thanks for the follow.
    I usually do this at home and it is not only tasty but also very healthy.

31. Hi Julie, I wanted to reblog 2 of your receipes, this one and the spinach dal, but I was hoping to re-blog them together in one post as ‘What I am cooking tomorrow’. Instead it didn’t work and they 2 were posted in my blog separately. I thought I could do it again and deleted those 2 posts but don’t seem to be able to. Anyhow just wanted to let you know in case you found this confusing.

I cooked the lentil and sweet potato tonight, ready for tomorrow and I will do the dal tomorrow. Having some friends for dinner. Your recipes are great, thanks for sharing.

32. FEWbar says:

‘Dal Palak’ as it is called in India…I love it!! And loved reading about you making it. Great photos.

33. Thanks for the follow and I am following you now 🙂 I also make a version of Dal and spinach which is a family recipe that we really enjoy

34. Hey Julie, Cool blog! Very interesting and we will definitely be back. Your friends at http://www.hitchhikershandbook.com

35. Oh what a yummy blog! So glad you are following mine so that I was led back to yours! Thank you!!!

36. Hi Julie, Thanks for visiting and following my blog. I hope you find some soul food! 🙂 Lots of great recipes here. Brad

37. I make with brown lentils, beef broth, spinach well cooked, a few thin slices of carrot and a hint of garlic . That all. Alternatives add some orzo or small elbow macaroni , and other times small amount of ground beef or ground Italian sausage. Thank visit my blog.

38. jingotron says:

This looks delicious!

39. Bobby says:

I have all the ingredients, save the leafy greens. As soon as I get them, this recipe will be first on the list.
    Thank you for the post. 🙂