Chia Coconut Pancakes

It’s about time I posted a breakfast, right? I was psyched about this one as it’s different but easy to make.  AND the nutritional value is out of this world.  There are a lot of pancake recipes out there that use wholewheat flour, but coconut flour is new and now my new best friend.  Coconut flour is a delicious, healthy alternative to wheat and other grain flours. Ground from dried, defatted coconut meat, coconut flour is high in fibre and low in digestible carbohydrates. A single 2 Tbsp serving of coconut flour delivers 5 grams of fibre with only 8 grams of carbs.  Lovin’ that, right?!

P1000669

P1000656

And don’t even get my started on Coconut Oil!  Coconuts are everywhere now and I’m loving it!  From shampoo to moisturiser, to cooking and putting into your smoothies (yes!  smoothies!) you can’t go wrong with Coconut Oil!  Listen up!

Here are the Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil:

Coconut oil is made up of medium-chain fatty acids that accelerate and stimulates metabolism, and definitely gives you more energy.  Coconut oil has a good quantity of caprylic acid in it which is well known to kill off excess candida by targeting harmful bacteria.  It is also rich in lauric acid which protects your heart by reducing total cholesterol and increasing the good cholesterol.

P1000676

P1000682

And here is an astounding fact about coconut oil; even though it is a fat, it can actually help with weight loss!  The healthy medium chain fatty acids do not circulate in the bloodstream like other fats; they are sent directly to the liver and are converted into energy. Thus the body does not store the fat in coconut oil as fat; it uses it to produce energy instead.  Loving that one!

Also, it doesn’t produce an insulin spike – instead, it actually helps to control blood sugar by improving the secretion of insulin.  So, good for diabetics!  And lastly, (although there are MANY more benefits!) coconut oil as studies done on residents in the Pacific Islands showed that their diets included 30-60% of their calories from saturated coconut oil and yet they have a nearly non-existent rate of cardiovascular disease!

And don’t even get my started on the topical benefits.  Yes!  You can put it on your skin and hair! It speeds up healing on the skin but is also a great moisturiser as well as conditioner for the hair!

P1000700

If you’re wondering how the heck are we going to make pancakes without eggs?!  Well, that’s one of the many beauties of chia seeds…. they can be used as an egg replacement as well!  Yes, C’est vrai!  Simply combine 1 Tbsp of Chia with 3 Tbsp of water and let the seeds expand for about 20 minutes, and voila!  You have a seriously healthy alternative to eggs!  The benefits of Chia Seeds are seriously UNREAL – well, have a look at my other post called ‘Chia Seeds – A Cool Superfood’ and you’ll see why.  With the combo of coconut and chia – this breakfast is super special, nutritious and superfood delicious!  Grab yourself these ingredients!

Makes about 12 silver dollar pancakes:

6 Tbsp chia combined with 18 Tbsp water (let sit and expand for at least 20 minutes)

1/3 cup coconut oil

2/3 cup coconut milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup coconut palm sugar

1/2 cup coconut flour

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

P1000717

P1000724

You will first need to combine the chia seed mixture, coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla and coconut sugar in a large bowl. You can then add coconut flour and baking powder. Mix again until lumps are incorporated. Scoop about a 1/4 cup of the mixture onto your hot pan to make your silver dollar pancakes.  YUM!

P1000736

P1000748

If you like this post then why not LIKE my Facebook page with lots of tips, photos, and inspirational posts! x

1. Elina says:

Looks delicious! Thank you so much for following my blog! You have a fantastic looking blog here, I will have a look around 🙂

2. AFNFitness says:

Looks absolutely deliscious!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for following. You have a great blog here with some awesome content – keep up the good work 🙂

3. runstilettos says:

I can’t wait to try these! Thanks for following my blog- I’m following you back and really looking forward to more posts!

4. leamuse says:

They do sound wonderful. I shall start the search for the coconut flour. I doubt it will be easily found here but will give it a shot.

5. Your blog is makes me feel hungry!:-)) Thanks for following my blog!

6. These looks fantastic – we are veggie (although Ruby eats anything and everything) and all your food looks so nutricious and delicious. Looking forward to taste tests 🙂

7. What a great site – lots of food inspiration! Thanks for following.

8. I’m sending this to my daughter so she can make it for her son…. THANKS!!!!

9. Yoshiko says:

Thank you for following my poetry blog and your future visits and likes. Hope you enjoy 🙂

10. florawilds says:

making these asap!!

11. These actually look pretty good. I’ll have to try them sometime.

12. I can’t eat anything made of wheat, so I have recently turned to all things coconut. Thanks for this recipe and lesson on the nutritive value of coconut flour and oil.

13. Spocki says:

Sounds marvellous! & thanks for liking/following my blog. 🙂

14. cliff445 says:

This sounds like a fabulous recipe!
    Can fine ground coconut be substituted for coconut flour?
    is that the same thing?

15. Iamrcc says:

I love coconut and drop it in cookies and brownies. I did not know coconut flour existed. Is it available everywhere? Thanks for visiting and deciding to follow me.

16. Hi Julie – thanks for visiting me (at http://ja2da.com) Always pleased to have a vegetarian round. Come the apocalypse, us meat eaters will have nothing to eat – except vegetarians, you know.
    David
    PS – I hate coconut but your pictures still make my mouth water!

17. loving the site, got some great stuff here. trying to get more of my friends into healthy living, i live a pretty healthy lifestyle but i’m no saint! thank you for following my thoughts on food too. I write poetry as well on wordpress, if that interests you at all, have a read. best, doug

18. paulrwaibel says:

I may just try this. 🙂

19. looking forward to keeping up with your blog, I love vegetables.

20. AnElephantCant survive on just peanuts
    Although he thinks that they are his dream
    He likes the look of your pancakes
    They look just like his mum bakes
    But can he please have his with ice cream?

21. Sophie Nussle says:

I was brought here because you dropped by my blog and kindly started following it. What a delightfully yummy page you have here! I’m salivating at all these recipes. Following (and cooking) for sure!

22. Christa says:

I love the video! You have such a happy vibe it is infectious! I have not had the opportunity to work with chia or anything coconut (other than flakes) before – so this is a intriguing recipe for me. It looks mighty tasty. Also, I wanted to let you know, because you were a follower of FoodToTheMax, that we’ve moved to http://chasingteal.com – I hope you will follow and enjoy the same great posts, with even more content and images!

23. Yum! will have to try some of your recipes. I did a post on coconut last year – such a wonderful food!

24. sonoverde says:

These pancakes look amazing! Grazie for following my blog. 🙂

25. These look delicious. I’ll try these out SUnday Morning. Hopefully my kids approve too 🙂

Great 🙂 I’d love to know what your kids thought of them!

26. I just found my way here, after seeing that you’re following my blog! 😉 I’m definitely an omnivore, but I have been looking for some good recipes, and this definitely is what I’ve been looking for! I only eat meat once a day, so there is lots of room for veggie goodness…I’ll be back!

27. Zoe Dune says:

Holy shit. What a tease! I have to say that I agree with you on food that is dense with nutrition. Like these pancakes. We have a Hare Krishna Temple nearby that has a restaurant in it, and they have stuff like this all of the time. I love making things like this at home. Thanks for the like on the Elmore Leonard post, It brought me to this site and I’m a better man for it!

28. edonthewayup says:

Reblogged this on Edonurwayup's Blog and commented:
    This is very appealing, Thanks.

29. Ambro Wright says:

Those look amazing! Have you tried baking anything with coconut flour? I’m always looking for healthier alternatives to whole wheat flour, but I’m always afraid the texture will be way off.

Coconut flour has some great benefits but I haven’t actually tried it in a recipe yet, maybe that’ll be next on the list!

30. I really like like the idea of chia seeds instead of egg for there are some recipes I’d like to make but require consumption of raw egg. Not sure homemade mayo will taste the same but worth a shot!

I would recommend it! Do come by again and let me know if you tried it 🙂

31. Hi Julie, thanks for visiting HappySpiritsKitchen! Im so happy to have found your site, Im very much still learning the lifestyle of eating good nutritious food and we are so eager to teach people that it can and does taste good too! We aren’t actually sacrificing anything by choosing not to eat take aways are other ‘food’ of the sorts. I love your recipes and will be making your Chia coconut pancakes for sure!
    Once again thanks
    MissHappySpirits

32. Will have to come back and have my husband, the cook, have a dig through your recipes. I love eating coconut, but don’t like it on my skin. Weird eh? Yoga? Would love to have yoga moves while travelling. The long days kill me! Thanks for dropping by and following “Honey.”

Hey I’m glad you found my blog and I hope your husband cooks up something tasty for you from my selection of recipes! Thanks for dropping by too!

33. Dear Julie
    Thank you so much for following my blog. I really appreciate it 🙂 Many blessing to you.

34. Katie says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I’m glad you did because yours looks amazing. This recipe looks delicious and I can’t wait to give it a try.

35. Thanks for liking my IIFYM post and for following my blog – your blog looks fantastic and I’m sure I can learn a lot from it 🙂

36. jaypeeswife says:

Looks like a great blog, can’t wait to check out more of it! Thanks for following mine…right back at ya!

37. Ichiriboo says:

Oh my gosh ~
    Thankyou so much for following my blog Ichi ❤ It means the world :' )
    My name's Rea, by the way c:

38. Looks great! I like your blog so much that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. The nomination can be viewed at: http://www.thesweetnetwork.com/2013/10/06/199/

39. homeflair says:

Lovely blog…gonna be trying some of these recipes for sure:)

40. Aziza says:

Dear Julie, I’m a big fan of your recipes. Thank you for sharing! I would love to try the chia pancake but my son is doesn’t like coconut 😦 Do you have a substitute I could use to replace the coconut flour? I have tried with almond powder/flower but it does not work (not compact/thick enough). Thank you for the advise. Best wishes from Belgium!

Check out quinoa flour 🙂