Kaleberry Ice Cream

This is great way to get your kids to eat a dairy free, sugar free ice cream that even has a dark, green leafy vegetable in it – which they can’t see.  Genius, right? Yes, some times parents have to think of clever ways to get these greens into our kids diets.  Well, I can tell you – this one works!  Last night, all 4 kids happily consumed this ice-cream and my greedy guts 6-year old even had seconds!  It take NO time to whizz together.  So, next time your kids ask for ice cream, how about trying this one instead!  Warning:  This does not contain SUGAR!
P1080636
Grab yourself these nutritious bits:
1 cup coconut milk; I prefer the brand ‘koko’ – yum.
Pop in 2 bananas in your freezer to make sure they’re nice and frozen before blending.
A super large handful of Kale (or even 2 super large handfuls if you prefer!)
2 pitted dates (love the medjool ones)
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of himalayan sea salt
3-4 small ice cubes
P1080648
Put all the ingredients in a high-speed blender, Vitamix is a great one – and watch how quickly (about 30 seconds) your ingredients morph into a delicious and incredibly nutrient-dense ice cream!  Top with some mint and you are good to go!
P1080657
Blueberries are SHAMAZING!  They are always ranked as having one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings. Antioxidants are essential to optimizing health by helping to combat the free radicals that can damage cellular structures as well as DNA. So, I am in with a grin with the blueberries!  To change it up, go ahead and strawberries or raspberries or even blackberries or why not a big mixture of those amazing dark berries.
P1080664

1. Rosie Amber says:

Looks so scrummy, delicious and nutritious!

2. Mariajose says:

I would’ve never come up with this. I should try. 🙂

3. xwaysseries says:

Looks deliscious!

4. windhound says:

Your ideas are endlessly creative – real kitchen alchemy!

Thank you so much!

5. oh wow.. this looks extraordinary!

6. pierrmorgan says:

Wow – this is exciting. Been thinking a lot lately about getting a blender. Now Ice cream? With KALE??? I’m on it. You’re brilliant.

Thank you so much! Try it for sure, you’ll love it!

1. pierrmorgan says:

Tried it! Bought a Quisinart blender and all the ingredients, but only put in 2 dates and one banana and it was still delish, couldn’t taste the kale at all, and – like your son – went back for seconds!

7. Lilly Sue says:

Oh wow this looks awesome!

8. This looks and sounds amazing, and so healthy. Very impressive that a 6 year old wanted seconds 🙂

9. Allison Forsythe says:

This looks SO good! Kaleberry ice cream at midnight is totally OK….right? 😉

10. Mama Bear says:

Reblogged this on Things I have learned… and commented:
    I can taste it already…

THank you so much!

11. mrszeg says:

Definitely will be trying this!

12. Pollen & Wax says:

Adorable! This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it out – it’s so sad, but I always need a little extra incentive to get that kale 🙂

13. seapunk2 says:

I would never have thought of this, and we love kale at my house. MORE KALE, PLEASE! Now, my blueberries are just starting to set fruit! I will try this one!

14. Nativegrl77 says:

Thanks for stopping by and the ad like … so, think of me next time you need a walkabout ! I love kale no matter what but this recipe sounds great!

15. afracooking says:

What an amazingly original recipe – I love the sound of it!

16. mybesthelper says:

Reblogged this on myBestHelper's Blog and commented:
    This recipe sounds amazing and is amazing! Try it – warning – you might like it 😉

17. Love, love the color!

18. This looks delicious, I’ve actually been thinking of getting a vitamix blender. I’m definitely going to write this one down

19. AR Neal says:

Love this! We’ve done banana ice cream (killed a blender in the process, which was awesome kitchen distruction–hahaha!) but this sounds even better!
    Thanks also for following my blog 😉

20. AR Neal says:

Reblogged this on One Starving Activist and commented:
    How incredible does this look?! Okay, so I’m selfishly reblogging it so I can find this recipe for when I have the most fabulous food processor/blender/juicer in the known universe it will be one of the first things I try. As I shared in my comments over on the site, we did banana ice cream which was delish, but killed the blender in the process. Since this only has two bananas and some other ‘gredients, chances are greater that we won’t have a two-peat on destroyed appliances 😉

21. Looks refreshing, healthy, & delicious! Thanks, too, for visiting my blog.

22. I on;ly just learned about kale today… now I’m being told there are kaleberries, too!! 😀

23. floridaborne says:

What would you suggest for someone with gastroparesis?

Hey! I would say first off you should avoid foods that can be tricky to digest, such as apples or other high-fibre foods. It would also be best to avoid foods that are high in fat! You may also find it useful to have six smaller meals throughout the day instead of three bigger ones and also try to incorporate liquid foods as well as easy to digest solids. If you want to talk more about nutrition then check out my website http://www.juliemontagu.com and get in touch 🙂 !!

24. Amazing recipe! I would totally try to make this 🙂 I love blueberries, and this looks healthy and delicious. Win-win 😀