Sweet Potato Falafel Cabbage Wrap

I can’t get enough of the sun we’ve been having in London! I’m like, ‘Vitamin D feed me now!’ And with these light days, I need some light meals. My kids adore sweet potatoes, especially sweet potato fries – so this recipe gives that yummy sweet potato taste for my kids, with a great ‘Soured’ Cream topping and for the adults, an additional ‘kick up the backside’ spicy salsa. We used a Chinese Leaf Cabbage to wrap it all up, but use what you have in the fridge – even a big Romaine Lettuce leaf works too! And then top it all off with some Vitamin D, by sitting in the SUN while you happily munch away!

For the falafels you will need:

400g of sweet potatoes
A large handful of parsley
A large handful of coriander
1 and a 1/2 cups of walnuts
2 garlic cloves
1/2 an onion
3 tbsp. of coconut oil
1 tsp. of cumin
1 tbsp. of Buckwheat flour (really any flour of your choice works, I just wanted to use a gluten-free one)

sweet_potato_falafal_cabbage_wrap_grassrootsandgrains2Prick and bake the sweet potatoes on 200C for approximately 30 minutes or until soft. Allow them to cool and then scoop out the flesh. Next you must blend the parsley, coriander and walnuts in your food processor until well combined. Then, start to add the rest of the ingredients, including the sweet potatoes until the mixture becomes ‘paste’ like. Using your hands, create 20 – 24 small falafels and place them on a baking tray with parchment paper. Bake these for 20 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes or so until they are all a lovely brown colour.

sweet_potato_falafal_cabbage_wrap_grassrootsandgrains8Then for the ‘Soured’ Creamโ€ฆ.

250ml of coconut yogurt (Co Yo is a GREAT brand to try for this)
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded
A large handful of mint, leaves only and finely chopped
1/2 a red chilli pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 tsp. of cumin seeds

sweet_potato_falafal_cabbage_wrap_grassrootsandgrains4Place all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and stick in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Simple as that!

sweet_potato_falafal_cabbage_wrap_grassrootsandgrains6Finally, for the ‘Spicy’ Salsa

250g of cherry tomatoes, diced
1/2 ared chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
A small handful of coriander, chopped
1 tbsp. of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

sweet_potato_falafal_cabbage_wrap_grassrootsandgrains3Place all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and stick in the fridge for 30 minutes.

To assemble:

sweet_potato_falafal_cabbage_wrap_grassrootsandgrains7Take the cabbage or lettuce of your choice (must have large leaves) – I used Chinese Leaf cabbage. First you should rinse it then dry it and separate the leaves. Top the cabbage leaf with a few falafels and cover with the Cream and the Salsa. Wrap it all up and take a BIG bite. YUM!

sweet_potato_falafal_cabbage_wrap_grassrootsandgrains5

Once you’re done loving this dish outside in the sunshine, get back inside to your computer and like my Facebook page! And while you’re at it, why not sign up to my newsletter?!

1. windhound says:

Inspiringly delicious as always.

2. That looks amazingly delicious!

3. rovinglights says:

This looks so tasty! Plus anything with sweet potato is good in my books.

4. andy1076 says:

Yummers! Love how healthy it is too ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Eliza B says:

I love the addition of walnuts! These look lovely. And I’m glad you’re getting some sun! Its wonderful when it first comes out for the summer.

6. Ruth Cummings says:

GREAT pictures!

7. I’ll have to try this in summer, looks & sounds great ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Boomdeeadda says:

Hi Julie, Congratulations on all your fabulous achievements outlined in your ‘About’ page. Your photo is really beautiful. After years of eating very little meat, I’ve finally made the commitment to eat vegetarian, always, full-time. It’s been about 2.5 months and it’s going well. We’re on vacation presently so more of a challenge when you’re in a new city, but our inn keeper has been so wonderful and helpful. This dish caught my eye and will happily float around when I return home. Thanks for your visit to my blog too. Cheers.

Thank you for your lovely comments! Enjoy your vacation!

1. Boomdeeadda says:

Thanks Julie and so funny, I just enjoyed my first Falafels here in San Jose and now I’m totally hooked.

9. mikemcmurray says:

Sounds delicious! Your images are mouth-watering!

10. Carole says:

Fantastic dish, Julie. Please do drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking it to my blog (Carole’s Chatter). Cheers

Yes of course! Please do! Thank you!

11. The oil on top of the nuts would make it harder to digest – for the oils in the nuts themselves. But such a lovely presentation, looks delish. Thank u for supporting my blog.

12. Nativegrl77 says:

great dish minus the sour cream but I dispute the negative medi diet – no potatoes more plant based

13. The sweet potato recipe caught my eye. I’ve been looking for some alternatives to my diet and I may give this one a try. Thank you for liking my post and following – Peace & Blessings to you.

14. Can’t wait to try this!

15. cailinceol says:

This looks soooo yum!!!!!

16. Looks yummy and healthy at the same time… ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Reblogged this on Stirling Creative and commented:
    Can’t wait to try this recipe, delicious!

18. Reblogged this on Mother City Vegan and commented:
    This is the tastiest meal I’ve seen all day!

19. nina3022 says:

I’ll definitely have a try on that! Sounds delicious!

20. lovetotrav says:

I just feel healthier looking at your pics. Very inspiring. I was always a vegetarian by choice (but now with food sensitivities to dairy) struggling to be a vegan by force. Yes, I need a most positive attitude but I really do miss cheese dishes and haven’t found great substitutes. Really enjoy your blog.