Papaya and Coconut Milk Shake

Making a shake can be a great thing to do anytime of the day, whether you want one in place of breakfast or even after a workout, it’s an invigorating way to boost your body. Milk shakes aren’t famous for their nutritional content and, are more of than not, synonymous with fat and unhealthy ingredients. This Papaya and Coconut Milk Shake is the complete opposite of what the name suggests and is a great way to start, continue or end the day.

papaya-and-coconut-shake grassrootsandgrains5To make enough of this milk shake for two glasses you’ll need:

1 banana
1/2 a papaya
1 cup of coconut water
1/2 a cup of fresh coconut meat
1 cup of ice cubes

Take your high speed blender and mix all of the ingredients together, then you’re ready to serve! It’s as simple as that. You can either pour a glass for yourself and save half for later or you can be super generous and make the other glass for someone else!

papaya-and-coconut-shake grassrootsandgrains4The flesh of the papaya is a rich orange colour with round black seeds inside. The seeds are edible, just as the flesh is, however the seeds have a slightly more bitter taste. The papaya fruit contains an enzyme called papain which is essential for the bodies process of digesting proteins. Papain is more relevant in the fruit when it is less ripe, however in any quantity it is great for your system.

papaya-and-coconut-shake grassrootsandgrains3The papaya fruit is rich in vitamins C, A, E and K as well as potassium and fibre. Its many nutritional benefits and antioxidant properties are fantastic for keeping your cardiovascular system in check whilst also helping to keep some cancers at bay. Eating papaya will also help to promote healthy levels of cholesterol in the body as well as encouraging optimum digestive health.

papaya-and-coconut-shake grassrootsandgrains2Coconuts are frequently over-looked as a health food, especially in some parts of America, however in the right quantity, they can be a great addition to your diet. The nutritional value of your coconut may vary depending on its age and level of ripeness, generally, the younger coconut is better for carbs whilst the more mature ones have a greater protein count. Regardless of its age, a coconut will have a generous amount of dietary fibre, iron, calcium and vitamin A. They are also packed with potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and manganese – just to name a few!As well as being incredibly flavoursome, coconuts contain an impressive amount of lauric acid which is antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral; making it an all-round amazing addition to your body. It is also thought that coconuts will help you maintain and even lose weight whilst also reducing your risk of heart disease!

papaya-and-coconut-shake grassrootsandgrains6

If you loved this recipe then remember to sign up for my newsletter and to like my Facebook page!

1. Yum..yum…looks delish. I did jump over to “Like” your page. Keep those recipes coming!

2. This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

3. Rosie Amber says:

Another great recipe, and your photography is brilliant.

4. Triple Drop Training says:

There are so many lovely recipes on your website, can’t wait to try some. It’ll be fun getting my kids involved in making them. Like you, I also have 4. Nice photos too. Thanks for visiting my blog too

5. mrszeg says:

Looks yummy, and I never knew papaya seeds were edible. Thanks!

6. I can not wait to make this!!! A quick question though…..how do you know when a papaya is ripe enough to eat? I’ve read conflicting things: I guess the more yellow/orange it is, the more sweeter the taste, but the more green, the better it is for the digestive system.

7. Kevin says:

Awesome! I love the idea of healthy milk shakes. I have been finding, in my quest for a healthier life, that I really neglect nutrition. I love that you focus on including nutrition even in your indulgences! I don’t know if I’m brave enough yet to stock my pantry with papaya and coconut water, but I think it’s about time to take the plunge.

Keep up the great work 🙂

8. Tina Evans says:

I have to make this for my husband. I think he’ll love it.

9. janeanddavid says:

Nice recipe! Thanks!

10. WilderSoul says:

Oh YUM, that sounds like a delicious combination. I am a great fan of papaya, and of coconut on its own. Now I want to mix them together! We don’t have a blender, so I may have to bash them with a rolling pin. (giggle)

11. jairose says:

Ah, looks so good!

12. Your photography is so beautiful, love your blog!

13. suestopford says:

Thanks for fo,lowing my blog. I love yoga but today is just the kind of day where I am not up for it but am learning that it is the best thing for my kind of mood.

14. Love your recipes and pictures! What camera are you using? I’m about to take a bunch of pics for massage book.
    Question: Do you have a good dry Chai recipe?? Not too much sugar & decaf? I’d like to offer to my clients and replace my own store bought…??

15. Ankur Mithal says:

The pictures make one want to read the recipe. Great stuff!!

16. I love that some of your recipes use ingredients that can be easily obtained over at Asia. Love them!

17. stephdrynan says:

Fabulous! I live in a country that routinely serves avocado shakes. Papaya and coconut are available and will be such a treat. Thank you!

Beautiful photos. You might enjoy the food and market shots @ http://www.errantclickings.com.

Thank you for following my blog.

18. Jeff says:

This looks amazing. Can you use coconut milk in place of the meat and water?

I’ve never tried it that way but I don’t see why not! Give it a go and let me know what you think 🙂

19. gacochran says:

Thanks for stopping by Along the Way and the follow. I look forward to learning more from your posts.

20. Heartafire says:

looks incredibly yummy!

21. Lilly Sue says:

This looks awesome!

22. I have instantly fallen in love with your blog!! Thanks for stopping by mine, otherwise I would have never found you! I love it 😀