Basil, Parsley and Macadamia Nut Pesto

Pesto makes a great accompaniment to absolutely any pasta meal and can give the blandest of dishes a real kick. Many people assume that it’s difficult and time consuming to make but that couldn’t be further from the truth! Although traditionally prepared with a pestle and mortar you can get the same fantastic result from whizzing all the the ingredients together in a food processor! If you follow a plant-based diet then you may not have realised that you can enjoy pesto as much as everyone else due to the standard use of cheese in the recipe.basil, parsley and macadamia nut pesto grassrootsandgrains

With the following selection of ingredients this isn’t something you’ll have to worry about:

2 large handfuls of basil (stems removed)
100g of macadamian nuts
1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
1/2 of one clove of garlic
100g of olive oil
1 large handful of parsley (stems removed)

basil, parsley and macadamia nut pesto grassrootsandgrains (6)So as mentioned before, all you have to do is combine all of these ingredients together in your food processor and whizz together until you achieve the consistency of pesto! You can then either store in the fridge for later use or include it immediately in your cooking.

basil, parsley and macadamia nut pesto grassrootsandgrains (2)

Making your own pesto from home is the best way to really keep track of what you’re putting into your body. Many pesto sauces can be quite fattening so by making you’re own you know exactly what has gone into it! In this instance the high fat level comes from the olive oil however, this is mono-unsaturated fat which is much better for us then saturated or trans fats. Mono-unsaturated fats can actually help lower your blood cholesterol levels too.

basil, parsley and macadamia nut pesto grassrootsandgrains (3)

Macadamia nuts are also high in fat but again, it’s the healthy monounsaturated kind. They are also a fantastic source of protein and contain all of the essential amino acids. As you may already know, protein is essential for muscle growth as well as for keeping your immune system healthy. Because of their high antioxidant content, it’s important to include nuts in your diet and the Macadamia variety are a tasty choice!

basil, parsley and macadamia nut pesto grassrootsandgrains (5)

Including garlic in your pesto recipe will give it that extra little bit of flavour as well as boosting the nutritional profile. Garlic isn’t difficult to grow for yourself so you can easily have a fresh store at your fingertips. There is an abundance of vitamins and minerals in garlic, such as iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc and manganese. It also contains selenium which helps keep the heart in optimum condition.

basil, parsley and macadamia nut pesto grassrootsandgrains (4)

If you like this then why not click here to sign up to my newsletter and get my Top Ten Healthy Living and Eating Tips!

Also you can click here to connect with me on Facebook!

1. Love homemade vegan pesto! 🙂

1. lorieb says:

i am going to try this soon, it sounds delicious!!

2. becookstoo says:

this looks amazingly yum!

3. enozia says:

Nice post…..:)

4. Rosie Amber says:

Sounds great! I’ve never got into the pesto thing before, but I’m inspired by this to give it a go. Thanks
    Rosie

5. terry1954 says:

creative indeed!! all in the color of green for St. Patty’s Day

6. auntiedoni says:

Love pesto, question though Julie, why curly parsley rather than flat leaf?

7. Eliza B says:

I love the addition of macadamia nuts! They must give this pesto an incredible flavor. Also the pictures are great- really show the vibrancy of the color green. Garlic, of course, must be in pesto in large quantities because garlic is great.

8. Oh looks so delicious – pesto is a food straight from heaven!!

9. MMM.. I love all the ingredients you used! And I agree with @terry1954.. perfect meal for St. Pattys!

10. applesandglue says:

Oh my goodness, I love pesto – looking forward to trying out this recipe!

11. elskenewman says:

That sounds delicious.

12. Word Wabbit says:

Hi Julie, This might not be the right place to post my note, but I think your blog is amazing, and I nominated you for the VERY INSPIRING BLOGGER AWARD because your blog inspires others. Accepting the award is optional. Check out the details at http://wordwabbit.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/very-inspiring-blogger-award/

13. Sonu Duggal says:

Hi, thank you for the visit and for following my blog.

14. Amato says:

Looks incredible! I can smell it already…looking forward to making it.

15. Tanya says:

Yum, I make my own pesto usually with pine nuts or walnuts, but I am definitely going to try macadamia nuts. I can just taste the flavour now, delicious 🙂

16. vdamiazzi says:

This may not be the typical Italian version but it sounds perfectly delicious. I wil try it for sure. I think macadamia will give this pesto such a frangrant crunch. After all, it allmost impossible not to like macadamia. Great great idea.

And thanks for liking my recipe! 🙂

17. We love pesto! Can’t wait to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks to you for visiting!

18. lly1205 says:

This is great because, although I’m not vegan/vegetarian, I hate cheese! I love finding recipes that replace or omit it

Lily

19. angelinahue says:

Homemade pesto is so easy to prepare and delicious! I make mine with Brazil nuts : )

20. Love this variation on pesto! Can’t wait to try 🙂

21. Monica says:

I can’t wait to try this! It looks so delicious.