Avocado, Chocolate and Lucuma Mousse

This is GREAT for kids and for dinner guests!  In fact, your dinner guests will be shocked after they discover that this pudding is very nutrient dense and consists of NO refined sugar!  I started making this for my six year old as he’s addicted to chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  But on the other hand my eight year old is addicted to avocados, avocados, avocados!

Avocado, Chocolate and Lucuma Mousse grassrootsandgrains (2)

To keep everybody happy, I decided to combine the two, with some lucuma for a little Peruvian Maple flavour, and voila! This mousse was born! To make enough to happily serve two, you’ll just need the following ingredients:

1 medium ripe avocado
1/3 of a cup of raw cacao powder, or more to taste
3 fresh dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1/3 of a cup of coconut milk, nut milk or filtered water
½ a teaspoon of natural vanilla extract (or you can use pure vanilla bean powder)
A pinch of unrefined sea salt
1 tablespoon of lucuma

Avocado, Chocolate and Lucuma Mousse grassrootsandgrains (5)

So all you need to do to create this dish is blend everything together and then leave to chill in the fridge for an hour. Then you can top it with your favourite super food and enjoy this awesome ‘avocacao’ treat!

Avocado, Chocolate and Lucuma Mousse grassrootsandgrains (7)

Raw cacao is a fantastic ingredient to use when trying to make a healthy dessert. It has been associated with several health claims ranging from improving the function of the heart to helping to reduce cataracts. Many studies have also suggested that theobromine, which is a non-addictive stimulant naturally found in raw cacao, can be used to combat depression. Additionally, it is high in antioxidants and essential fatty acids. If you want to increase your good cholesterol levels whilst decreasing bad cholesterol levels then raw cacao is the perfect thing to include in your diet.

Avocado, Chocolate and Lucuma Mousse grassrootsandgrains (3)

Using avocado in a dessert might not seem like a conventional idea but they are full of so much goodness that you really can’t go wrong! Be sure to pick a ripe one to make your mousse and always scrape it out well as the portion nearest the skin is where the most nutrients can be found! Avocados are crammed with good fats that help to protect the heart against disease.

Avocado, Chocolate and Lucuma Mousse grassrootsandgrains (4)

The Lucuma fruit, which is native to Peru, provides the perfect sweetener! The fruit is dried out at a low temperature and then turned into powder. It rates low on the glycemic scale and is full of nutrients like iron, zinc, beta-carotene and calcium. The maple-like taste makes it great for sweet dessert dishes whilst keeping you healthy at the same time!

Avocado, Chocolate and Lucuma Mousse grassrootsandgrains

Remember, if you love this recipe then click to like my Facebook Page!

If you like this then why not click here to sign up to my newsletter and get my Top Ten Healthy Living and Eating Tips!

1. raeexposed says:

Reblogged this on RAE EXPOSED and commented:
    Mmmm yummy!

2. thekevinyi says:

I am intrigued. Does it taste like pudding or like chocolate butter? If you must know…Chocolate butter sounds to die for…so it is not a negative description.

3. cheflynnie says:

A Little Country and a Little Rock and Roll! It looks awesome. I’ve got to try it.

4. Love these kinds of recipes, my 2 year old son loves them as well. Thanx for sharing

5. applesandglue says:

Sounds interesting and I have most of those ingredients! Will have to look into trying this!

6. Hey there! I nominated your blog for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog for more information!

7. Labrynthe says:

This is brilliant!

Do you think it’s safe for diabetics to consume this? :]

8. jojodiet2013 says:

This looks yummy!! Unfortunately I am on a diet and I am doing great, but I will keep your recipes for my meal off 🙂

9. adambarr1106 says:

Excellent. Never encountered lucuma before…will now seek it out.

10. Looks delicious! I love trying avocados in new ways- will definitely check this recipe out =)

Great! Let me know what you think 🙂

11. What an interesting recipe. Thanks for visiting our blog, we really love yours! Besides sharing the interest in healthy nutrition, we’re practicing yoga too… 🙂

Fantastic! I hope we can inspire each other 🙂

12. jjbegonia says:

Yum! I love avocado mousse, but never thought to add Lucuma – I’ll have to try it! Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning, too!

Carlynn
    jjbegonia.com

13. That looks great. I must admit I’d never heard of lucuma but I love chocolate and avocado so it must be good!
    Thanks for following my blog and I hope you enjoy it. Stay tuned for free ebooks next month.

14. YUM! I am thrilled to have found your blog! Thanks for following mine, and I really look forward to following yours. What an informative blog! Very excited to try these recipes. 🙂

15. rebel8heart says:

you know what i am a foodie at heart…. so a blog like this is sheer pleasure to read… and follow… kudos

16. I love anything with avocado!:)

17. I love chocolate and I love avocados, but am skeptical how they might taste together. I will definitely give it a try, though, and let you know how it goes:). Thanks for sharing!

18. reichereising says:

This was a very informative recipe. I like how you’ve included the health benefits of the ingredients, and also some tips on how to use the ingredients as parts of other dishes, as it could also spark some creativity in the usage of these foods in recipes created by the readers themselves. Amazing blog by the way, I can tell you’ve put a lot of effort into creating it. I’m sure a lot of people, including myself now, are looking forward to seeing any new recipes you have!

19. Danielle says:

I love this idea and I am going to try this as soon as I figure out where to purchase lucuma powder. Thank you for the follow! 🙂

20. sweetpeanutrition says:

This looks delicious! Definitely going to try it 🙂

21. Jimmy says:

Delicious!!

22. icare2day says:

Yum..gonna make this healthy dessert….. Thanks for sharing 🙂

23. inspiredmood says:

Thanks for this all-natural recipe Julie! I’d never heard of lucuma before, but I’m off to my local health food store today so will ask them about it 🙂 I’m looking forward to making this!

24. Christine Davies says:

Tried this mousse using a recipe from the magazine Prima. Sadly they had interpreted the ingredients all wrong and it tasted awful. Too much cacao for a start 80 grams!! Will try this one As I am diabetic it will be good

Great, let me know what you think! 🙂