Kale, Fig and Walnut Risotto

When I’ve had guests over for supper, and I’m making something plant-based, I usually go for the staple risotto – can’t go wrong there!  But I got bored of making the same ol’ mushroom risotto over and over again… and so did my dinner guests!   One time while visiting my in-laws down in Dorset, my father-in-law had this gorgeous fig in front of him that he meticulously sliced open and then slowly bit into it, savouring every juicy bite.  And that’s when it hit me, why can’t I do figs in my risotto?  So I started thinking, I wanted a ‘complete’ meal – the green leafy vegetable for my chlorophyll, the nuts for my protein and the fig for my anti-oxidants.  And bingo, this risotto was born!

kalewalnutandfigrisotto grassrootsandgrains
To make enough of my risotto to serve four people as a main course, you’ll need the following ingredients:

500g of Arborio Rice
1 onion
8 cups water of mixed with bouillon veggie stock (more if you need)
200g of Walnuts
2 large handfuls of kale (a good mix if you can find)
5 delicious figs – quartered
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon of coconut oil to gently fry the onion

kalewalnutandfigrisotto grassrootsandgrains7

The first thing you need to do is melt the tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pan and add the chopped onion. Fry the onion for between five and seven minutes, until it becomes translucent. You can then add the rice along with eight cups of vegetable stock. Bring the pan to the boil and then allow to simmer gently, giving it the occasional stir. If necessary then it’s okay to add more of the stock. Do this for about 25 to 30 minutes.

kalewalnutandfigrisotto grassrootsandgrains5

Whilst you’re waiting for those 30 minutes to pass, you must dry roast the walnuts. You can either do this is a pan or in the oven. As soon as the stock has absorbed into the risotto, add the nutritional yeast, kale and walnuts then give it all a good stir. At this stage your risotto should be nice and creamy so it’s time to gently include the figs into your dish and stir slowly. Once all of your figs are in, your meal is ready to be served!

kalewalnutandfigrisotto grassrootsandgrains3

Figs are a fruit and are uniquely nutritious. They have an amazing calcium count and are also a great source of fibre. Studies have suggested that fibre from fruit can lower the chances of a postmenopausal woman developing breast cancer. Additionally, they are a rich source of magnesium, potassium, iron, several B vitamins and vitamin K. If you are eating figs for the nutritional value then it’s best to choose those that are riper as there are more antioxidants present in ripe figs.

kalewalnutandfigrisotto grassrootsandgrains2

Walnuts are a fantastic source of energy and health boosting properties. They are especially good for getting omega-3 into your diet and can help lower your bad cholesterol levels whilst increasing the amount of good cholesterol in your body. Eating walnuts regularly will help to prevent strokes and coronary artery disease!

kalewalnutandfigrisotto grassrootsandgrains4

Kale is without a doubt, one of the healthiest vegetables you can find. Eating just one cup of it will provide you with a decent amount of fibre, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C. Eating kale is amazing for your body and your overall health, making it a much loved and much used ingredient for super food fans!

Click here to find out more about nutrition and remember, if you love this recipe then like my Facebook Page!

Click here to sign up to my newsletter and get my Top Ten Healthy Living and Eating Tips!

1. digger666 says:

From another Midwestern expat (Milwaukee) living in London, congratulations…this looks and sounds so-o-o- delicious.

2. digger666 says:

Reblogged this on digger666 and commented:
    This looks and sounds simply divine…

3. Beachbums1 says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe ~ it sounds so yummy. My 15 year old daughter loves steamed kale but she may like it even better prepared this way. I’ll give it a try.

4. vohn says:

Mmm – sounds delicious. Thank you for following my little blog. I strive to lead a healthier life but am bad at actually achieving that, so your blog is going to help me so much! Vohn

5. alfievenner says:

I love the idea of substituting the traditional butter and parmesan for healthier fats like walnuts and coconut oil; this looks both healthy and most importantly delicious!

6. I love figs! This looks fantastic, & your photos are beautiful.

7. 312east5th says:

oh yes, i like the looks of this! We have a fig tree in our yard that is just budding now….

8. A great recipe to use some of that kale I have growing at the moment. But what is nutritional yeast?

Hey thanks for checking out my blog! In answer to your question, nutritional yeast is a deactivated type of yeast that is sold in the form of flakes. Many brands of nutritional yeast are fortified with vitamin B12 so it’s great for vegans!

1. Thanks Julie I have come across that reference a couple of times now – will have to get myself to the heath food shop and see if they can supply.

9. That looks incredibly delicious. Only thing is I think we need to give kale a new name. It doesn’t sound like something that would taste good. Sounds like some kind of seaweed.

10. It looks absolutely amazing! Will try it soon… 🙂

11. Yesenia says:

Yumm this looks great! I never made risotto, but this looks like a healthy easy start!

12. The Foodies says:

I love risotto! This looks amazing!

13. This is going on the must-make list. Wow. It’s gorgeous. Can’t wait to try it!

14. Ms.Beltempo says:

sounds delish! I make risotto at least once a week so this is a great alternative! Wondering if the kale loses it’s nutritional value when cooked? I’ve been dying to know the answer to this question!

No, it doesn’t b/c you put it in last and then whatever nutrients come out are still then absorbed in the risotto. It’s like with broccoli – if you over boil you can still use the water (which then has all the nutrients) and drink that or mix into smoothies. HOpe that helps!

1. Ms.Beltempo says:

amazing!! I didn’t realize it was the same with broccoli and that the water could be used! I will definitely remember that. Thanks so much!

15. jojodiet2013 says:

Yumm I will try it without the rice!!

16. marymary says:

Looks delicious, such a unique spin on risotto!

17. Love this recipe and can’t wait to try it out!!

18. trendbytes says:

I am a risotto nut, and will have to try this recipe out! Thanks for stopping by my humble blog. Maybe you will encourage me to get more fit this year. I eat pretty healthy (although I have a weakness for southern comfort food, which is not very low-cal) and cook most meals at home. Most chain restaurants drown their food with butter and fat, and I end up ill afterwards. The new farm-to-table places are a huge improvement.
    Lucky for you to live in London. There is a wonderful Okonomiyaki (Japanese ‘pancake’) place near the British Museum that is very good if you haven’t been, and Busaba Eathai in Soho is sooooo much fun for the communal tables and interesting array of fusion food. I am truly inspired by your blog!

19. andra carter says:

yum! i want to eat this right now 🙂

20. OMG two of my favorite foods. together. Kale and figs…must try this ASAP. thanks for the recipe

21. nickerockers says:

Just felt the need to say this looks utterly delicious. Since my boyfriend is currently addicted to figs I might cook this up for him!

22. Chelsea says:

This looks great! I’m sad because the nearest source of dinosaur kale is over an hour away. I usually buy 3 bags of kale per week from my local grocery store for smoothies, soups, and stir-frys, and they have been out for 2 weeks! Fresh figs are a hard to come by ingredient for me too. Maybe they’ll show up this summer.

“I can’t find dinosaur kale!” Haha #firstworldproblems

Where do you live?! 🙂

23. Faye says:

Cooking this for supper tonight – as requested by my meat loving husband – yum!