Baked Sweet Potato Chips

Although traditionally made from standard potatoes, chips made from sweet potatoes are much healthier and are actually of great nutritional value. Just 7 ounces of this vegetable contains approximately 65% of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C! They are also rich in calcium, potassium and beta-carotene. As a rule, use one sweet potato per person you are feeding, I used six to feed all six of us! To make this simple recipe all you will need is the following ingredients:

Sweet potatoes (1 per person)
Olive oil
Herbamare (pure sea-salt infused with organic, garden-fresh herbs and vegetables)
A dash of turmeric or cumin

So to start, heat your oven to 180C then wash and peel your potatoes. Once they are peeled, slice each potato to 1cm thickness and then again to 1cm longways. Once they are all sliced into shape, coat them all generously in corn flour.

bakedsweetpotatochips grassrootsandgrains1

You must then apply olive oil to each chip. I prefer to spray the oil on instead of pouring it, but either method is absolutely fine. Next, give your chips a good sprinkle of Herbamare and then add a dash of turmeric or cumin, completely up to you!

bakedsweetpotatochips grassrootsandgrains2

Now that your chips have been prepared, align them on the baking tray side by side, making sure not to place them on top of each other as this will prevent them becoming crunchy. Place the tray in the oven for 15 minutes and then take them out, turn all of the chips over and put back in for an additional 15 minutes.  Your chips are now ready to eat so serve them with some decent ketchup, preferably made with Agave or Brown Rice Syrup, not sugar!!!

The high nutritional value of sweet potatoes isn’t the only reason you should be including them in your diet. They also score impressively low on the glycemic index which makes it great for your blood sugar levels. The rich content of Vitamin A and beta-carotene makes sweet potatoes fantastic for your skin and also work to combat the free radicals which cause visible ageing effects.

The high potassium content of this vegetable helps to alleviate muscle cramps, making them great to eat if you’re particularly tense! Sweet potatoes are easily grown in your garden and you don’t have to be especially green-fingered to be successful at it!

Remember, if you love this recipe click to like my Facebook Page!

Click here to sign up to my newsletter and get my Top Ten Healthy Living and Eating Tips!

1. Oh fabulous….I always remember my first taste of sweet potato chips….it was in Auckland, New Zealand. Delicious. The rest of the gang smothered theirs in Mayo…..oh, I could eat some right now.

Great post….and lots of healthy eating info.

1. I put the chips in a plastic bag, add a little oil then shake it. This coats them with a minimum of oil

2. I’ve made sweet potato chips, but never with Herbamare! I’m excited to try it!

3. Ronnie Ann says:

Nice! I’ve been making something similar using olive-oil rubbed sweet potato slices, a wee bit of curry, plus a little red & black pepper. I try not to add salt where possible, but a light sprinkling of Herbamare sounds lovely! Thanks for the yummy idea.

Your version sounds great!

4. Gary Lum says:

These look wonderful Julie

5. Mariajose says:

Will be trying this out soon! Thanks! I tried sweet potatoes for the first time last year after beginning my weight loss journey and I loved them as an alternative. Thanks!

6. Ree says:

Reblogged this on ReeCreates and commented:
    Can’t wait to make these today! Thanks, Julie!

7. foziasaeed says:

These sound delicious as well as being healthy. On my list to try out 🙂

8. paigesoflove says:

Hi There! Ive nominated your blog for the Beautiful Bloggers Award! Check out the details here! 🙂 http://paigesoflove.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/beautiful-blogger-award-d-thank-you-maya/

9. gistti says:

Looks and sounds delicious.

10. Solveig says:

Oh, I love sweet potatoes – and Herbamare. Will try this one! Thanks for the like on the nutella-recipe, btw! Love from Sweden!

And thanks to you for stopping by my blog 🙂

11. Labrynthe says:

These look lovely! And thank you for all the interesting information about sweet potatoes!

In South Korea, the sweet potatoes are julienned then baked (or fried) into crispy strips. I don’t know if it strips away the nutrients but it taste so good!

Sounds like a great way to cook them!

12. Hi and thanks so much for the follow on my blog!

I love sweet potatoes, I’ll definitely try these. I’ve never heard of herbamare though, I’m guessing sea salt & my own herbs would be the same 🙂

13. Amy @ Healthy and Fit for Real says:

Love sweet potatoes- I try to use them often.

14. I’ll have to go on a hunt for some herbamare. We usually do our sweet potato chips or wedges with chilli flakes and sumac.

15. kerstinporter1 says:

They are great with Avocado Oil too! Avocado oil is my new favorite oil to cook with because of the taste and the health benefits. (Plus when my skin or hair needs an extra moisture boost I use a drop of Avocado Oil.)

16. I’ve just recently started eating sweet potatoes and I’m trying to find various ways to cook them. These look and sound delicious…I will have to try them! P.S. Thanks for following my blog!

17. meenuoh says:

These look delicious! Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things to eat!
    Thanks for liking and following my blog too!

18. I am so excited to try these. My family loves sweet potato fries! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

19. dakotacensus says:

Heavenly sounding. How do you think they would taste made of pumpkin?

Give it a go and come back and let me know 🙂

20. Yum, love sweet potato chips ! Thanks for the follow 🙂

21. These look delicious! Thanks for following my blog!

emilyandtylerglover.wordpress.com

22. ohiocook says:

Thank you for dropping by my blog!

23. layahpontiff says:

Reblogged this on Sister Sewing Love's Blog and commented:
    Delicious and nutritious!

24. We love sweet potato chips. I’ve found that some sweet potatoes do much better than others for chips. The varieties with a lower water content make for crisper chips. Thy’re harder to find in our area. Oh well, cumin makes even soggy chips delicious.

25. cricketmuse says:

We trade out regular fries for these at participating restaurants– healthier plus tasty!

26. Welcome to WWWW, where sweet potato fries reign….thx for introducing us to herbamare.

27. I am so inspired that you reinvemted yourself by learning yoga and nutrition after 4 kids. This is incredible! Love your blog on easy to follow recipes and wholesome, delicious food. Keep it up!

28. bobh47955 says:

Sounds good. I have one sweet potato now so that will be with my evening meal tonight.

29. Yum! Sweet potato chips are delicious. I like mine sprinkled with a little paprika or rosemary but I’m defintiely going to try your cumin version!

30. cohencycles says:

WOW, what a fabulous life you have created, following your yoga path and adding the health/wellness. I think it must take serious courage to commit to the life changes you have made. You are inspiring! Thanks for stopping by the so new Just Fuffy!

31. dbainter says:

Reblogged this on I BEAT ANOREXIA and commented:
    I bet these are fantastic!