Sangita’s Tofu Curry

My friend Sangita was kind enough to share this recipe with me although it was originally intended as a prawn curry dish! To give this recipe my own touch, I’ve substituted tofu in to create a veggie alternative! Curry is a wholesome dish that is perfectly satisfying at the end of a long day and with ample opportunity to include a combination of herbs and spices, it is great for your body too! To make this recipe for yourself and three others, you’ll need the following ingredients:

sangita's tofu curry grassrootsandgrains2

2 medium onions
450g block of firm tofu, cut into small chunks
½ a block of coconut cream
1 teaspoon of cumin
4 ground cardamom pods
2 teaspoons of coriander
2 teaspoons of turmeric
2 teaspoons of chilli powder
Lime juice to taste
1 inch of root ginger
3 tablespoons of safflower oil
Lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Before you start preparing the curry, you should first add your desired amount of rice to a pan of hot water and leave to cook.

So to begin, you should chop the onions into small pieces and peel and slice the ginger. Next you can drizzle some of the safflower oil into a pan and fry these two ingredients together for two to three minutes. Whilst continuing to fry, include the cumin, cardamom, coriander plus the turmeric and chilli powder. Stir the contents of the frying pan together well before adding in all of the tofu.

sangita's tofu curry grassrootsandgrains3

Now you can turn the heat down a tad whilst you create the coconut milk. Do this by mixing the block of coconut cream with 475ml of boiling water in a jug and stirring well before pouring into the pan. Turn the heat back up and allow everything to cook together for between five and ten minutes.

sangita's tofu curry grassrootsandgrains4

Before you take the curry off the heat, check to see if the rice is ready and if so drain off any excess water and serve onto dishes. You can then season the contents of your pan with salt and freshly ground black pepper before serving over the rice. Garnish with a dash of lime juice and enjoy!

sangita's tofu curry grassrootsandgrains8

Curry is often thought of as an indulgent dish that is neither good for the body or your waistline, however when prepared with the correct ingredients and not full of fatty products, curry can actually be a healthy meal. Not only this but it isn’t too difficult to make and is loved by many! Also, by using tofu as an alternative to meat in your curries, you are providing the body with numerous healthy benefits. These benefits range from lowering your cholesterol count to helping protect against certain cancers. It is also believed that consuming tofu will help keep bones strong as it is a great source of calcium. Tofu is also full of vitamin E and is a fantastic source of protein. Every 100g of tofu contains approximately 17.19g of protein, making it easy to see that you can still meet your daily recommended allowance from this meat alternative!

The inclusion of spices like turmeric, cumin and coriander are also good ways to boost the nutritional value of your meals and also add to the taste. Also, when cooking it is preferable to avoid the traditional oils which have become the norm and instead opt for a healthier alternative. Safflower oil has been used since the Ancient Egyptian times and is a bi-product of a plant which is also widely used for colouring, flavouring and medicinal purposes.

sangita's tofu curry grassrootsandgrains6sangita's tofu curry grassrootsandgrains7

To find out more about nutrition click here!

Also, if you love this recipe, remember to like my Facebook page!

Click here to sign up to my newsletter and get my Top Ten Healthy Living and Eating Tips!

1. Alix says:

Sounds yummy! I will certainly cook this recipe. And the pictures are great ;)! Thank you for sharing, Alix x

2. Abeer says:

Lovely recipe. I cook curries all the time, wil try this one too. Thnks for sharing!

3. Alix says:

Sounds yummy! I will certainly cook your recipe. The pictures look great 😉 thank you for sharing! Alix x

4. auntiedoni says:

I love, love, love Tofu as well as curry. The curry that I was brought up on back home in Hawaii is a little different than the way that you make Julie. All very ONO~licious (delicious). Happy Aloha Friday.

5. Stash says:

Hi Julie. Thanks for “liking” my post and for following my blog, although I do want to point out that I’m an omnivore (albeit someone who is 2/3 lacto-ovo vegetarian). So maybe there’s hope for me yet. 😉

I actually have never had tofu in a curry. This looks delicious, enough to make me want to try it in the future.

6. Teresa says:

Thank you for following my blog. I hope you enjoy the recipes. I’ve got lots of red velvet stuff posted up at the moment, plus a lot of gluten free stuff.

7. stephdoran says:

Thanks for following my blog!
    This looks so tasty! I’ll have to give it a go sometime soon. You’ve got some awesome recipes on here, keep them coming! 🙂

Hey there! Thanks for visiting 🙂

8. wonderfull……..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

9. godtisx says:

It’s ironic you found my blog, I have been moving toward a more plant based diet. Not so much in the last few weeks but I was near there, and will be trying at it again. Followed. Looking forward to reading some of your recipes… and thanks for the follow!!! xo

That’s great to hear about your dietary change, I hope you find lots here to inspire and encourage you 🙂

10. betr2garden says:

What a great recipe! My hubby is allergic to seafood and we recently found Tofu prawns at our local Asian store. It has brought him (and I) much joy to be able to enjoy Laska and stir-fries using ‘fake prawns’. I might just make him a ‘prawn’ curry.

Neither of us had tried Tofu until about a year ago. I even made two dishes when we first tried it in case we didn’t like it. We loved it and my daughter did, too. It ticks a lot of boxes and is very reasonably priced.

Thanks again for the recipe, I’ll be back.
    Kerri