Chia Seeds – A Cool Superfood!

Chia seeds may not be a health food that you are already familiar with, however if you are looking to give your body a boost – it is something you should become acquainted with! Much research has been done to discover the incredible health benefits of chia seeds and the advantages of eating them are many and varied.

It has been suggested that these seeds can make you feel fuller for longer which in turn helps with weight management and weight loss. When they enter your body they are thought to absorb ten times their own weight in water. This assists in creating the feeling of being full which should prevent you from snacking between meals!

chia seeds a cool superfood! grassrootsandgrains3

Athletes are among the many people realising the potential of chia seeds as they hydrate the body, something which is obviously particularly useful during sports. There is also strong evidence to suggest that they will reduce your blood pressure and slow down the speed at which your body converts carbohydrates into sugars. This reduction in carb conversion time is particularly beneficial for sufferers of diabetes as it aids the control of blood sugar. The Omega-3 content of chia seeds is also something to get excited about as it is the richest plant source of this fatty acid, containing even more than a portion of salmon! As you may well already know, Omega-3 is an essential fat that protects the body against inflammations and is also great for the brain and heart.

As well as being packed full of Omega-3, chia seeds are also high in protein and dietary fibre as well as being gluten free! The protein count is especially impressive as it contains all eight essential amino acids. These seeds also boast an amazingly high amount of antioxidants, calcium, vitamin C, iron and potassium! All of these components combined make it a fantastic food for promoting healthy skin, hair, nails as well as everything on the inside! chia seeds a cool superfood! grassrootsandgrains2

To make the most of the remarkable benefits of eating chia seeds, you should aim to include approximately 15g (roughly one tablespoon) in your diet every day. However, due to the high fibre content, you must also remember to drink plenty of water. There are countless ways to incorporate the seeds into your meals, the easiest being to simply sprinkle them on top of whatever you are eating. There is no need to cook the seeds before you eat them and they will dramatically improve the nutritional value of any dish, be it cereal, soup, salad or anything else! If you’ve got more of a sweet-tooth, but still want to enjoy the benefits of chia seeds, then why not try the recipe below for my Chocolate Chai Chai Pudding!

To make this treat for four you’ll need to shop for the following ingredients:

• 1/4 cup of chia seedschia seeds a cool superfood! grassrootsandgrains4
• 1 cup of unsweetened almond (or coconut) milk
• 5 pitted Medjool dates
• 1/2 a vanilla pod
• 1/2 a teaspoon of cacao powder
• 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon
• 1/8 of a teaspoon of cloves
• 1/8 of a teaspoon of nutmeg
• 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground ginger

All you need to do is combine all of the ingredients, except for the chia seeds, in a high-speed food processor and blitz until completely smooth. Next, pour your concoction into a bowl and stir in the seeds before separating into serving dishes and placing in the fridge  for several hours whilst it becomes thick.

chia seeds a cool superfood! grassrootsandgrains5

chia seeds a cool superfood! grassrootsandgrains6Once ready you can top with a couple of blueberries and tuck into this tasty treat with absolutely zero guilt, knowing that you’re body is as thankful for every spoonful as you are!

chia seeds a cool superfood! grassrootsandgrains9

If you love this recipe then why not like my Facebook Page!

Click here to sign up to my newsletter and get my Top Ten Healthy Living and Eating Tips!

1. kartwheels says:

Yay chia! We want to grow organic chia up at 5,000 feet in the Sierra’s this year 🙂

2. Alix says:

I cooked this today and it is really very nice. I used coconut milk and it worked very well. Will try almond milk next time! Thank you again for another delicious recipe. I think i’ve tried almost all the recipes from your blog now 🙂 all really tasty!

3. B Gourley says:

Thanks. I’d never heard of them. Learn something new everyday.

4. Lois says:

I’ve never heard of them! A delicious looking recipe – I wonder if they are available in any shops near me? I must investigate!

You can purchase them in Holland and Barret and I would also imagine any other health food shop! 🙂

1. Lois says:

I’ll look out for them!

5. Amanda Wood says:

Hi Julie! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me. Your blog also looks very interesting and helpful. I look forward to reading more.

Thanks, Amanda! Same to you 🙂

6. Lois says:

Well, Julie, I have some chia seeds… now I’m going to investigate what I can do with them! Thanks for the post!

7. Simon Powell says:

Do you have any suggestions on where to get them cheaply in London?

I think Holland and Barret is the best place, or you can order online. Remember, you only need a small amount per day so a bag should last you a while!

8. Oh my gosh Julie! You saved the day with this one. My daughter loves Chia Seeds, but she would always just put them in water and they would become so gelatinized that they were hard to swallow. I LOVE this idea and she will too. Thanks!

Thanks 🙂 How old is your daughter? That’s so great that she loves Chia Seeds!

9. I really enjoy chia seed in my yogurt in the mornings. Great source of Omega 3’s and fiber. Thanks for the like on my blog. I appreciate you stopping by.

10. Hello!
    Thank you for joining my blog followers. It’s so nice to bump into a fellow IIN person on the web! Your blog is great, & I see you have a lot of followers. I’m thrilled to hear things are going well in London. I love what we do as health coaches, & I believe we have a message that’s relevant everywhere, so I was excited to hear that you have taken it to London. Best wishes to you!

Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving your comment 🙂 it’s great to hear from you! Where abouts are you based? Carry on the good work and best wishes to you too!

11. Thank you for checking out my blog. I just tried this recipe and I love it! Thanks for sharing.

12. FreeTheMom says:

Love throwing a tablespoon these into my Vitamix with a bunch of greens for breakfast. Mmmmmm…

13. lauriebest says:

Glad you’ve discovered our blog, Julie. When my kids were young, I pulled my hair out (well, I thought about it) trying to find good recipes to cope with their many allergies. How times have changed — for the better! It’s great to see a blog like yours offering nutritional help. London is a great place, isn’t it? Gill is back there now and loves it…we may never lure her back to Canada!

14. I bought these about a month ago and absolutely rave about them now! They have more nutrients than milled flaxseed but I enjoy the nutty taste of flax better. You are so right that they keep you fuller longer with all that fiber! Great post, thanks!

15. mommytransformations says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the follow. Your site looks great and I can’t wait to use it as a resource on my journey. You had me at Chia!

16. Thank you for visiting and like. May try out chia seeds as the pictures look yummy.

17. jeanryan1 says:

Thanks so much for visiting and following my blog, Julie. Your site is gorgeous and helpful. Will surely be trying some of your recipes!

18. Brent says:

I’ve been eating mila chia seeds for two months now.and I have never felt better in my life. I’ve found so many different ways to incorporate it into my cooking now. Chia seeds are truly a superfood.

That’s fantastic, care to share some ways you’ve found work best to get them into your cooking? Would love to hear your ideas 🙂

19. Brent says:

For starters you can replace eggs in your baking by putting 2 tsp. of ground chia seeds with 1/4 cup water. Let that stand for 5 to 10 min. This replaces one large egg.

20. Brent says:

I’ve personally tried this recipe and it is fantastic. Lemon Butter cake with chia seeds and pistastio nuts. http://alturl.com/jjfim

21. Me and my 4 year old boy love to add them every morning in our yogurt and mix together with blueberries, honey and cinnamon. Healthy and yummy!

22. pfstare says:

Thanks for the follow Julie. I have never heard of chia seeds but intrigued to try them now. I think I’d be pushing it with my 9 year old though, I’m lucky if I can get him to eat peas 😉

Hey thanks for checking out my blog! The great thing about chia seeds is that they are so small and easily stirred into many things, like cereal or soup!

2. Brent Gnyp says:

Pfstare no worries about getting your 9 year old to eat the seeds I was there basically tasteless. Chia seeds are 1 way parents are getting their kids to be nutritionally balanced without them even knowing. Half my customers are parents just wanting to feed it to their children.

3. Pfstare the good thing about chia seeds is that they are pretty much tasteless. All you have to do is throw them in a smoothie or drink or any food for that matter. He’ll never know. Add it to his cereal…anything.

23. Love this! Just shared with fb group! Would love to have you “join.” Go to page and add yourself at the top right of the page! Your creations would be an awesome addition to the group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/348868211890766/

24. malawiman says:

I buy them on-line and they are great. I was just soaking them in fresh almond milk and having them for breakfast so it is great to see some new ways to work with them. Thanks.

25. zehirablog says:

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to check out my blog and decide to follow me. I wish I shared your knowledge of good food – I am a creature of habit Im afraid and my food habits are far from perfect – I know what I like and my eating patterns are unpredictable and irratic! Maybe I will pick up some tips from your posts.

26. Excellent, been wondering about these seeds….love chia tea! Maybe I’ll incorporated seeds in my diet now! Thanks!

27. kvjinc says:

Great photos, delicious ideas and nutritious foods. Thanks.

28. general says:

Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is existing on
    net?