Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup with Coriander

Here’s a great recipe if you’re looking for a meal to warm you up this winter that’s also packed full of goodness – Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup with Coriander. This is a fairly easy to make dish that doesn’t require too many ingredients; you’ll likely find that you have most of them in the cupboards already!

To get started creating this gorgeous meal, which will easily be enough to feed four people, this is what you’ll need:

Approximately 1 kg (2lb 4 oz) butternut squash
Coconut oil for frying or  a splash of vegetable stock
2 medium onions
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
175g (6oz) brown rice
Fresh coriander (cilantro)

To start, take your butternut squash and cut it up into manageable chunks. Make sure you save all of the seeds as they will come in useful later! You then need to chop up the two onions and decide whether you are using coconut oil or veg stock to fry them in. Once you have made your choice, you can heat some in the pan and chuck the onions in. As the onions are frying you can then add the garlic, the spices and the chilli to the pan. Stir it all together for a few seconds and then add the butternut squash.

Make sure that you stir the contents of the pan well before you pour in your vegetable stock, then bring it to the boil. Once you’ve reached this point you can add half of the rice and set the pan to simmer.

You should now pop the seeds you’ve saved into the oven to toast! There are two things that you can do with these seeds later on, depending on your preferences. Either add them into the first pan which is to be blended later; alternatively you can use them on top of your soup with the coriander garnish. If you are going to add the seeds into the first pan then you will need a high performance blender, such as a Vitamix, to do this properly.

Whilst your first pan is simmering you can then boil the rest of the rice in water for approximately 15 minutes. Alternatively you can just use your rice cooker. If you decide to do the rice in a pan then make sure you set the rice to drain as soon as it’s ready.

After 30 or so minutes, the butternut squash should be soft and cooked through. This means it’s time to take it off the heat. You can now blend it before returning it to the pan and adding the other batch of drained, cooked rice. Now that everything is cooking together you can set the pan to simmer and season to your desired taste.

Your soup can now be garnished with coriander and served!IMG_0292

Whilst you’re enjoying your delicious meal it will also please you to know that what you’re eating is just as good for your body as it is for your taste buds! Butternut squash is full of antioxidants and vitamins, and is also a very low calorie vegetable. It contains absolutely no cholesterol or saturated fat but it is a fantastic source of fibre.

The most prevalent vitamin in butternut squash is vitamin A which is a powerful weapon for keeping your skin healthy. It is also a great vitamin for maintaining good eyesight and it has even been suggested that it can help the body in the fight against some cancers.

Whenever you use butternut squash, it’s a great idea to keep and use the seeds. These seeds are an amazing source of fibre and have many benefits for the health of your heart. They are full of minerals, proteins and vitamins that will do your body wonders.  Enjoy!

If you want to find out more about nutrition then click here!

Also, if you love this recipe then why not like my Facebook Page!

1. Dean B says:

Hi Julia,

Thanks for following my blog. You’ve got an interesting blog as well. Makes me want to start eating healthy!. I wish I had the discipline. Will check out your delicious looking recipes, maybe that will get me started!

All the best,

Hi Dean, thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you continue to check back and find something to inspire you!

2. Hi Julie, I also love cooking, so I´m following you! The combination of squash and turmeric is great. With the butternut seeds I make snacks, just with salt and spices, in the electric oven for a few minutes.

Welcome to my blog! Thanks for following and sharing your tip about the butternut seeds, so simple but still so tasty.

3. Eric says:

Hi Julie WOW your blog is very well designed it stands out! Thanks for following The Pearl Kitchen. Hope you enjoy the stories and recipes of my aunt 😉

Hi Eric, same to you!

4. Hi Julie. Greetings from across the Irish Sea! Thanks for stopping by prelovedbooksblog.com and sharing my enthusiasm for US crime fiction. I’ll be back to nurture my deeply buried inner chef!

Hi Deirdre, was very happy to come across your blog – great stuff! Hope you continue to find things here you can enjoy!

5. Anita Mac says:

That soup looks amazing! Just what one needs as we try to get through the cold snap that has engulfed Ottawa!

6. Charlotte says:

Looks beautiful – butternut squash soup is so comforting.

Hi Charlotte, thanks for visiting Grass, Roots & Grains!

7. fionaward says:

Hi Julia,

I *love* butternut squash… and your recipe looks like a wonderful healthy antidote to all the rich and fatty French cooking I’m having at the moment!

8. Perfect recipe!! Comfort food that clearly nourishes every bit of you!

9. Susan says:

Nigel Slater has an additional tip with butternut squash – make crisps with the peel. They are really good so long as you don’t put them in the soup itself. Link to the recipe here http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/butternut_squash_soup_90300

10. dfolstad58 says:

more soup recipes ! My daughter loves her dill pickle soup, it is a potato soup that I had pickle juice when I finish the jar and then I add lots of fresh dill, hot or cold, this never lasts more than an hour in the house!

11. This soup looks delicious and it doesn’t contain tree nuts to which I’m highly allergic. It’s so difficult to find vegetarian recipes that don’t involve nuts. I’m definitely going to save this recipe.
    Thank you for visiting my photo blog! I’m glad that you liked my recent post, “Juicy Leaves”. Please visit again soon! 🙂